11/5/12

Ultimate Grand Supreme

Sometimes I feel like I'm not very good at this parenting thing. Do I make one crying child attend piano lessons even though she has a headache? Do I let the other child skip lessons too even though she doesn't have a headache because she doesn't think it's fair if she has to go when her sister doesn't? Do I acquiesce to one child's wishes to let the holes in her recently-pierced ears close up because she's suddenly decided she doesn't want to wear earrings anymore? Do I make children who are playing nicely outside in gorgeous fall weather (one of them remarking, as they go out the door, "Hey, we're getting along great today!") come inside and clean their rooms and study for vocabulary tests? Should I force them to try broccoli, should I enforce bed-making, should I help them find their shoes in the morning even when not helping them means that we're all late?

I don't know the answers to these questions.

So, sometimes I feel like I'm not really a very good mother.

And then, I watch an episode of Toddlers and Tiaras, and I change my mind.

2 comments:

Abbey said...

Ha! Nothing like a little perspective. This motherhood thing is hard (and you have years up on me). All in all, you have happy kids who are well behaved and taken care of. I'd say you're doing a great job. :-)

aimee said...

All good questions. I never have any answers either. Except for the earring one. Don't let her ear holes close! She'll regret it in high school. :)