Skip to main content

Songs I've Sung

A few nights ago Mallory asked to take a shower rather than a bath. This was surprising – Mallory usually hates getting her face wet in any way, and the few times we’ve attempted to give her a shower have been disasters. “I don’t think you’ll like it,” I said dubiously, but she insisted (loudly and tearfully), so I relented.

And she did fine. “I really like showers!” she announced when she got out. “Hey Daddy!” she called across the house. “I like showers!”

I was chalking this up as yet another inexplicable whim when Chris said, “Hey, Mallory, let me ask you something. Do you like showers now because of the Sandy video we saw on TV?”

Mallory blushed, giggled madly, and said, “Um, yes. And I really like showers!”

This is what happened. She and Chris had caught the tail end of Grease on TV the other night, and for some reason the station played Olivia Newton-John’s “Physical” video right afterward. As you may know, Olivia (or Sandy, as we know her) is in a gym with a bunch of guys and takes a shower (still wearing her 80’s headband) after doing her “aerobics.” And this was enough to spur Mallory to change her shower-hating ways. Since then we’ve found the video on Youtube and have watched it many, many, many times.

Yes, it is a bit disconcerting to hear my 5-year-old sing, “Let me hear your body talk, your body talk,” but overall I’m a bit pleased. She comes by her Olivia-obsession naturally. My big sister and I used to spend hours singing along with Olivia (after first tying towels around our heads to simulate her long, flowing hair). This was before Grease, in Olivia’s country stage. Our absolute favorite song was “Please Mister Please”:

Don’t play B-17
It was our song, it was his song
But it’s o-over.

We also liked Helen Reddy’s “Delta Dawn,” Charlie Rich’s “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World,” and B.J. Thomas:

Say, won’t you play
Another somebody done somebody wrong song?
And make me feel at home
While I miss my baby,
While I miss my baby.

A few years later we discovered Tony Orlando and the Dawn:

Knock three times on the ceiling if you love me!
Twice on the pipes,
If the answer is no.

Neil Diamond was a big favorite as well:

Money talks,
But it don’t sing and dance and it don’t walk.
Long as I can have you here with me,
I’d much rather be
Forever in blue jeans.

The Urban Cowboy soundtrack was also a hit:

I’ve been lookin’ for love
In too many places
Lookin’ for love
In too many faces,
Searching their eyes,
Looking for traces
Of what I’m dreamin’ of…

I guess you could say we didn’t have the most sophisticated taste in music, but we certainly had fun singing along.

Comments

MomofK9s said…
I always liked to listen to Xanadu (which is playing on my MP3 player right now! How sad is that?) and pretend I was rollerskating just like in the movie. This was before walkmans or ipods or anything like that. Sacry isn't it?
Anonymous said…
How well I remember you and Jana singing along to all of those songs! And I also remember the towels on your heads. Mallory could do much worse.

Mom
aimee said…
That is hilarious!

I think your taste in music and the way you sang it rubbed off on Casey and me. We would sing along with Urban Cowboy, Elvira (our favorite! I loved to pretend to be the girl in the sunglasses on the front of the album) and Johnny Cash. Good times.

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...