Skip to main content

Zero

I don't remember what the worksheet was about -- something to do with math, I'm sure. There were only four problems, and I got them all wrong. I was in second grade and I don't think I'd ever gotten less than a 95 on any paper or test. To be handed back a worksheet with a big red "0" at the top was shocking, to say the least.

Needless to say, I wasn't concerned about my failure to master the material. I wasn't even old enough to worry about how this ZERO would affect my grade point average. No, my only concern, the only thing on my mind, was destroying the evidence so that no one would ever, ever know that I had received the worst grade ever on a paper.

So alarmed was I by the possibility of being discovered that the simple act of tearing the paper up and throwing it in the classroom trash can was Not Good Enough. Instead, I very stealthily, when no one was looking, erased my name from the top of the paper. Using my left hand, I wrote another name, and I'm embarrassed to say that I think the name I used was "Juan." Then I slipped the paper into my pocket. I checked it obsessively during the long minutes left in that school day.

I had piano lessons after school that day, so instead of going to the bus line I had to walk a block to my teacher's music studio. Since I had already broken all the rules by GETTING A ZERO, I chanced walking down the alley rather than following the sidewalk. There, after looking around very carefully to make sure no one was looking, I took the "Juan" worksheet out of my pocket, wadded it up for good measure, and threw it into a big dumpster. Then I ran away, as fast as I could.

My precautions worked. My subterfuge was successful. No one ever knew about THE ZERO.

No one, that is, until today.

Comments

aimee said…
Whoa. That is a long time to hold such a secret! :)

I, too, got a zero in 2nd grade. I forgot to do the backside of a phonics worksheet. I was very shocked. But I think I fessed up.
Anonymous said…
And to think. Poor, innocent Juan, son of the Friona garbage man, got the beating of his life that night, never knowing the reason why. I bet it still haunts him even to this day. For shame. And math was his best subject too....

Amazing the new things you learn about your spouse, even after being married for almost 10 years. You've never told me that story before. Classic.
Anonymous said…
I don't think I even suspected that you had made a zero. I'm sure that it was shocking, but I doubt that anything bad would have happened to you had we known.

Mom
H Noble said…
How funny! Traumatizing to a child I'm sure, and you probably thought the world was coming to an end. Were you able to find any chords at piano??
Holly

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...