Skip to main content

T minus 39 minutes...

11:22 p.m.

Mallory announced halfway through the movie that she was tired and going straight to bed when it was finished. "That means everyone she has to go to bed," she announced. I was foolish enough to hope this would come to fruition. Instead, she got the dreaded second wind. They played a game; they danced and sang to Miranda Cosgrove. Just now they demanded that Chris draw portraits of all of them. Alternately, they'd like to make friendship bracelets. I heard one girl tell Mallory to set her alarm for 3 a.m. so they can sneak downstairs and watch our Elf on the Shelf change positions. (I'll explain that one later.)

Mallory's happy and having a good time and I'm glad about that. But man, I'd really like to go to bed now.

Just heard ominous crashing noise from upstairs. Not sure if I really want to investigate. So tired.

9:25 p.m.

Four girls arrived on time. There was much screaming and giggling and attempting cartwheeling. Pizza, cake, pinata dispatched. Young girls are very noisy. Fifth girl arrives late; said parents got lost. Feel guilty; forgot to notify parents of road construction around neighborhood. Presents opened, goody bags distributed. One girl has to go home early, not allowed to stay all night because has whooping cough. (No longer contagious.) Fingernails painted, pillowcases decorated. I (brilliantly) try to plan tomorrow's Girl Scout meeting around the chaos. Mallory stubs toe, has headache (not related). Popped popcorn. Girls now in living room watching Coraline. Requested total darkness. Hoping it makes them sleepy.

5:21 p.m.

Mallory's sleepover guests will arrive any minute now. The house is clean, the juice boxes are chilled, the candles are on the cake, the pinata is filled. On the agenda: pillowcase decorating, pizza eating, pinata smashing, present opening, game playing, friendship bracelet making, and, apparently, staying up until at least 2 a.m. I'm sure there will also be a lot of high-pitched screaming and discussions of iCarly episodes.

If I have the chance I'll live blog the experience for you. Why shouldn't you suffer right along with me?

Wish me luck.

Comments

aimee said…
So, did you survive?

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...