Skip to main content

The Princess and the Rock Star





A good time was had by all on Halloween night, except for the handful of hapless children who tripped on the tether cords of our giant blowup pumpkin. The next day, I told Mallory she could have one piece of candy after lunch. She hunted through her bag for, seriously, about twenty minutes. "I just can't decide," she said, "I want something really really delicious." I sympathized. That's exactly how I feel when I go down the cereal aisle. So many choices, you'd think there one be at least one cereal that would jump out at you and make you think, Hey, that is exactly what I want to eat for breakfast tomorrow. That rarely happens, though, so I settle for the same old Rice Chex or Cheerios. Life is hard, isn't it.

Speaking of choices, Mallory asked me today to guess who her new boyfriend is. "Oliver," I said, naming a Hannah Montana character. "Mommy," she said. "I figured out that if I pick a boyfriend, it has to be somebody real," she explained. "I had Drake Bell as my boyfriend all last year and he never showed up! So I'm not going to have any more TV boyfriends." I said that was very wise, and didn't mention my ongoing crush on Daniel Day-Lewis (sorry, Chris).

Two days down!

Comments

aimee said…
Wow, she figured that out fast. I can't tell you how long I waited for Michael J. Fox or Kirk Cameron to show up at my door. ;)

Cute costumes!
Anonymous said…
Mallory looks so grown up in that costume! Wow!! She is smart about the boyfriends, although imaginary ones are much easier on mothers.

Mom
H Noble said…
Beautiful princess and glam rocker! Too bad for the stumblers. Maybe you should have had Chris on the lawn with those flashlights they use on the runway to direct foot traffic. :)

Popular posts from this blog

I ask you

This is my garden: Or rather, this is the patch of soil that was my garden last summer. It produced millions of tomatoes, dozens of green peppers, a handful of cucumbers, and two puny watermelons. I do not wish to repeat last summer's vegetable bounty, because most of said bounty went to waste. Nor, however, do I want this patch of soil to remain brown and bare throughout the summer, because it's unattractive. So, what do I plant here, in the shrubbery/flowery vein? Keep in mind that I do not have a green thumb. Also, I don't want to spend a lot of money. Also, this area is in full sun most of the day. And it's really hot. And sometimes we get rabbits. Any advice? To thank you in advance, I give you these goofy photos of my children and their homemade parfaits (which Mallory persisted in calling "specialinis").

It's what's for dinner

One of the things that I failed to appreciate about my mom until I left home is that she always made dinner (although I think we called it supper then), by which I mean, something hot, usually involving a vegetable. I don't remember my mom ever saying sheepishly to her hungry spouse and offspring, "I don't feel like cooking, how about a bowl of cereal?" I hate making dinner. Haaate it. It's my least favorite chore. It's not necessarily because I can't cook. I can usually manage to create something edible, although I have yet to perfect the science of getting, say, the chicken and the broccoli and the rice and the rolls all ready at the same time. (There are those among you who may be surprised that I make and serve broccoli. It's true! It's best when roasted: Toss with olive oil and salt, spread on a baking sheet, put in 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes. It's delicious! Delicious as broccoli can be, at least.) It's also not necessarily t...

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.