Skip to main content

Retro Thursday: Family Edition

Pardon the quality of these pictures. They're old, because so am I.

The one and only picture of me looking cute in a swimsuit.



1974. The corn was as high as an elephant's eye.



My big sister Jana and I discuss how nice it is to not have any younger siblings.



Oops!




Easter Sunday, 1978. Ignore the adorable children and focus, if you can, on my father's suit.



Aimee, in Underoos!



The twins hamming it up. Love the patches on my brother's jeans.



First day of school, 1984...I guess that would be 7th grade for me. Aimee has no front teeth (aw). Jana is way too cool for school. I don't know why I'm clutching my brother in that way. Perhaps because I'm being swallowed by my puffy pink shirt.



Christmas 1988. Nice buzz cut on Casey. I believe Jana and I were both wearing new clothes from The Limited, the coolest store in town. (Figuratively speaking; our town had no stores.) You can't see them very well, but Jana's shoes, being two-toned, were considered scandalously wild at the time.



That's it for this week! Stay tuned for a very special Retro: Christmas Edition next Thursday.

Comments

aimee said…
Ok, I had no idea Retro Thursday would include a picture of me wearing underoos.

And oh my. That green chair in the first picture. Dad's suits. Jana's shoes.

Very hilarious. I can't wait until next Thursday. (Well, maybe I can. Some of those Christmas photos were terrible)
Anonymous said…
Gary's suits are really retro as is the green chair which was practically an antique when the picture was taken.

Funny pictures!

Mom
Abbey said…
Ahh, the memories. That was fun to see you guys back in the day! I can't wait to see more. What a great idea you have.

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...