Skip to main content

Oh, him

Well of course Phoebe can say "Dada." I didn't include that in the list because it just seemed so obvious, so hardly worth mentioning. In point of fact "Dada" was her very first word (well, it was either that or "dog.") So there!

My husband (Chris) pointed out to me that the only times I've mentioned him were to say that a) he eats Frosted Flakes and b) he lost his job. I said, "Yeah, so?"

But of course he is more than a sugary-cereal-eating, job-losing schmo. I haven't mentioned him yet because a) I've only written what, three whole posts anyway and b) I kind of think of him the way I do my right arm. Do I need to tell you people that my right arm is an essential part of my being? Do I need to tell you that I rely on my right arm for everything I do? Do I need to tell you that I would be absolutely lost without my right arm? No, I didn't think so. And so it is with Chris. (I can tell you now that he will be utterly unimpressed by this analogy and so I'll add for his benefit that yes, I would much rather be an amputee than a widow.)

I met Chris in a particularly unhappy point in my life. I was thousands of miles from home, working on a Master's degree that I'd already decided I didn't really want. I had Friends I Studied With and Friends I Worked in the Library With but no social life to speak of. The highlight of my week was Must-See-TV Thursday nights. I was a sad sack. But then there was Chris, and by about the third time I met him I'd decided that I would probably end up marrying him (and no, dear, by "end up" I don't mean that I was "settling," I just mean that I envisioned a future with you and it pleased me), and one night we spent about an hour trading Simpsons' quotes back and forth and laughing hysterically and I made him dinner (which became apparently the talk of my hometown) and he drove through a blizzard to pick me up from the airport that Christmas and now we've been married for eight years. And yes a whole lot of other stuff happened in there too. The salient point is that since I've met him, I've been happy. I'm a bit shy and socially awkward but I've always felt comfortable around Chris. He's like home. He's my best friend. And he's had a really rough year and I'm very proud of him for coming through to the other side. He's a great father to our girls and makes them laugh like no one else can. He teaches high school students and does things that makes them say "Oh, snap!" which I believe means that he impresses them, which in turn impresses me because I can't think of anything more terrifying than being around a bunch of teenagers all day. He's an excellent artist and he has pretty blue eyes and he's good with the comebacks. And I could go on but you get the idea. So there's my paean to my right arm.



Last Thursday Mallory came home from school with a sticker of the number 3 on her shirt. When questioned, she said that she got it because she was very good that day. "But why a 3?" we asked. "Because I'm special," she said.

Last night I got an class newsletter via email from her teacher, in which she explained that she had divided the class into three groups for ease of rotating them through the "centers." So Mallory's "3" just meant...that she got to do Science on Thursday. Special, indeed. I need to start questioning Mallory's assertions the way she does ours when we say something she's not sure about: "Are you fibbing or are you joking or are you teasing?"



I have the absolute best little sister and brother-in-law in the world. I love you both and I'll see you in 72 days!

Comments

aimee said…
What a great tribute to your right arm! :)

Hilarious about Mallory's #3 sticker. When she becomes a noble peace prize winner of Science, just remember that she knew she was special!

We love you too! We are beyond excited!!
H Noble said…
You crack me up! Loved the tribute to Chris. I've only met him once, but what I remember sounds right on target. Glad you are happy!

And I love that Mallory knew what her 3 meant, even if you adults didn't!
Holly
Anonymous said…
Well okay, "dada" IS pretty obvious, but no more so than "mama", and THAT one made your list! Okay, I'll stop now...I need to finish my Frosted Flakes before they get mushy.


And thanks, babe. Seriously. This may all be obvious to you, but it's STILL nice to hear every once in awhile. I love you. Whoops, now I'M getting mushy.

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons