Skip to main content

Songs I've Sung

A few nights ago Mallory asked to take a shower rather than a bath. This was surprising – Mallory usually hates getting her face wet in any way, and the few times we’ve attempted to give her a shower have been disasters. “I don’t think you’ll like it,” I said dubiously, but she insisted (loudly and tearfully), so I relented.

And she did fine. “I really like showers!” she announced when she got out. “Hey Daddy!” she called across the house. “I like showers!”

I was chalking this up as yet another inexplicable whim when Chris said, “Hey, Mallory, let me ask you something. Do you like showers now because of the Sandy video we saw on TV?”

Mallory blushed, giggled madly, and said, “Um, yes. And I really like showers!”

This is what happened. She and Chris had caught the tail end of Grease on TV the other night, and for some reason the station played Olivia Newton-John’s “Physical” video right afterward. As you may know, Olivia (or Sandy, as we know her) is in a gym with a bunch of guys and takes a shower (still wearing her 80’s headband) after doing her “aerobics.” And this was enough to spur Mallory to change her shower-hating ways. Since then we’ve found the video on Youtube and have watched it many, many, many times.

Yes, it is a bit disconcerting to hear my 5-year-old sing, “Let me hear your body talk, your body talk,” but overall I’m a bit pleased. She comes by her Olivia-obsession naturally. My big sister and I used to spend hours singing along with Olivia (after first tying towels around our heads to simulate her long, flowing hair). This was before Grease, in Olivia’s country stage. Our absolute favorite song was “Please Mister Please”:

Don’t play B-17
It was our song, it was his song
But it’s o-over.

We also liked Helen Reddy’s “Delta Dawn,” Charlie Rich’s “The Most Beautiful Girl in the World,” and B.J. Thomas:

Say, won’t you play
Another somebody done somebody wrong song?
And make me feel at home
While I miss my baby,
While I miss my baby.

A few years later we discovered Tony Orlando and the Dawn:

Knock three times on the ceiling if you love me!
Twice on the pipes,
If the answer is no.

Neil Diamond was a big favorite as well:

Money talks,
But it don’t sing and dance and it don’t walk.
Long as I can have you here with me,
I’d much rather be
Forever in blue jeans.

The Urban Cowboy soundtrack was also a hit:

I’ve been lookin’ for love
In too many places
Lookin’ for love
In too many faces,
Searching their eyes,
Looking for traces
Of what I’m dreamin’ of…

I guess you could say we didn’t have the most sophisticated taste in music, but we certainly had fun singing along.

Comments

MomofK9s said…
I always liked to listen to Xanadu (which is playing on my MP3 player right now! How sad is that?) and pretend I was rollerskating just like in the movie. This was before walkmans or ipods or anything like that. Sacry isn't it?
Anonymous said…
How well I remember you and Jana singing along to all of those songs! And I also remember the towels on your heads. Mallory could do much worse.

Mom
aimee said…
That is hilarious!

I think your taste in music and the way you sang it rubbed off on Casey and me. We would sing along with Urban Cowboy, Elvira (our favorite! I loved to pretend to be the girl in the sunglasses on the front of the album) and Johnny Cash. Good times.

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons