Skip to main content

Sandbox Conversation

Mallory: This sand is really gooshy today.

B (across-the-street friend): I'm making footprints.

Mal: Well I'm making a sandcastle.

Phoebe: Hi Bay! Hi Bay! Hi Bay!

Me: B, Phoebe is saying hi to you.

B: Oh.

Mal: I watched a movie today.

B: Me too, I watched The Fox and the Hound.

Mal: Well I watched Drop Dead Fred.

Me: You did?

Mal: Yeah, it's a really good movie. It's about a girl named Elizabef and her imaginated friend. He's invisible. It's my favorite movie now. It's really good. Really.

Phoebe: Weevie, Bay! I watch weevie! I watch weevie, Bay!

B: I'm done with my sandcastle. I'm the queen!

Mal: Well I'm the mommy. No, how 'bout you be little girl and I'm the mommy.

B: No, I'm the queen.

Mal: No, how 'bout you're the princess. Wouldn't you rather be a princess? Because when you're a princess you're more beautiful and...and...danceable.

B: Well, okay.

Phoebe: Punce, Bay! A punce! [Princess]

B: My mom says I can't have any snacks.

Mal: Oh, that's sad.

Phoebe: Snack, Mommy? Phoebe have snack one too?

All girls, as dog leaps into the sandbox: Finn, stop!

Finn: Aaarooo!

Comments

H Noble said…
Wow. How long does it take to clean two kids and a dog up after playing in a 'gooshy' sandbox?
H
aimee said…
This is what you have to look forward to Holly!!!
aimee said…
Hilarious by the way. I love how Mallory talked her friend into being a princess because she is more danceable.

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...