Skip to main content

Two Years On...

and working from home with Phoebe in the house isn't much easier. Here's a snapshot of our day:

Phoebe: Mommy, what are you doing on your computer?

Me: I'm working.

Phoebe: Can I go on bluesclues.com?

Me: Not now, I'm working.

Phoebe: Can I go on cheetahgirls.com?

Me: Not now, I'm working.

Phoebe: Can I go on pixiehollow.com?

Me: Not now, I'm working.

Phoebe: But I really really want to see my pages!

Me: Honey, not now. Why don't you go do a puzzle?

Phoebe: O-kay.

(Moments later)

Phoebe: Where is my princess puzzle?

Me: Did you look in the puzzle cabinet?

Phoebe: It's not here!

Me: Which princess puzzle are you talking about?

Phoebe: The princess puzzle that I liked to play with when I was just a little girl!

Me: I am still not sure which one you mean.

Phoebe: The one I played with all next week!

Me: Yeah, that doesn't help me either.

(Later)

Phoebe: Mommy, I'm really hungry.

Me: Would you like some lunch?

Phoebe: No, I don't like any kind of lunch. I want a snack.

Me: How about some fruit?

Phoebe: Do you have strawberries?

Me: No.

Phoebe: Do you have waterlemon?

Me: Watermelon and strawberries are hard to find in winter, honey. I have grapes, apples, and bananas.

Phoebe: I know, could I have grapes cut up and bananas cut up and apples cut up in a bowl?

Me: A fruit salad?

Phoebe: Yeah! Fewoot salad!

Me: Okay. (Chops fruit) Here you go.

Phoebe: Yum!

(Later)

Phoebe: I don't want the grapes or the bananas.

Me: Then don't eat them.

Phoebe: But can you take them out of the bowl?

Me: (Sighs and complies)

Phoebe: Yum! Now I have an apple fewoot salad!

(Later)

Phoebe: Mommy, can I change my clothes?

Me: Why?

Phoebe: Because I need to! New clothes would be percfect for me.

Me: Okay, go pick something out.

(And here's where it would have been funny to insert a picture of the ridiculously mismatched outfit she picked out, but my camera battery is dead. Come back later!)

You get the idea. I'm still glad I get to spend the day with her.

Edited to add: It just snowed for, like, two minutes. Bizarre.

Also: Happy birthday to my mother-in-law!

Comments

aimee said…
A new outfit would be perfect for me! I love it!
Krista said…
And it actually is percfect -- that wasn't a typo, it's how she says it. And it's adorable.
H Noble said…
I don't know how you get anything done! :)

Tell her that I had an apple fruit salad today too! It was all the fruit I had left. Ha!

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...