Skip to main content

Planting the seed

Yesterday, because he can refuse her nothing, Mallory's grandfather (Papa) bought her a real honest-to-goodness coconut at the grocery store. Mallory watched, fascinated, as he proceeded to pierce two of the holes in the coconut, drain the milk, and then whack the thing open with a hammer. (I admit that I was fascinated too...I've never seen a real coconut unwrapped, so the speak.) Then he cut off some of the flesh for her to eat. Now, this is a child who lately eats only four or five things (the kid standards -- pb&j, chicken nuggets, cinnamon toast, and ice cream) so I was surprised that she agreed to try it, and not surprised that she didn't like it much. I had a bite too -- it was not too bad, but obviously the sweetened stuff is much better. Especially when residing in my mom's Italian Cream Cake. Most interesting fact about the coconut -- the inside is cold to the touch. This ends your science lesson for the day.

After the taste test, Mallory picked up one half of the coconut and wondered aloud what to do with it next. "Plant it and grow a coconut tree," I said in jest, but you should never make a suggestion in jest to a 4-year-old, because we had to spend the next half hour finding just the right spot in the yard to bury the coconut, and then we had to cover it with special potting soil, and then we had to water it. Then Mallory said, "Now I need to sing to my tree!" and proceeded to croon a variation of the lullaby I used to sing to her (I'll leave it to you to decipher which parts she varied.):

Lullaby, lullaby, rockabye my sweet baby
It is time to go to sleep
Make away with your sweet dreams.
Coconut, coconut, it is time to grow big
Coconut, coconut, soon you will grow big.

Every day my kids do something that make me fall in love with them.

ART (Always Remember That) for the day:

I was not blessed with children who just, you know, go to bed. For both girls, bedtime has always been a long drawn out process of nursing and rubbing backs and singing and lying in the dark thinking to myself, "Why won't this kid just go to sleep already?" I think some would say I'm a softie on this issue (uh, my husband included) but oh well.

Anyway. When Mallory was around two there were occasionally nights when she just wouldn't settle down and I'd give up altogether. I'd say, "Mallory, are you not sleepy right now?" and she'd sit up, slide out of her bed, and run out of her room and straight down the hall to Chris's studio. She'd hold her arms up in a "what-can-you-do" kind of shrug and proclaim, "I not sleepy, Daddy! I not sleepy!"

Now Phoebe has nights when she just won't settle, and when I say to her, "Phoebe, are you not sleepy?" she slides out of bed and toddles down the hall to Chris's studio. Same path, same little waddle in her step. Except all she can say is "Diggum" or "Zhuh!" But she's getting there.

Comments

aimee said…
I love your ART for the day! I love that Phoebe is taking after her big sister, even though it means less sleep for you.
And I love that Mallory sung to her coconut tree. I was expecting her to sing, "you put the lime in the coconut and you drink it all up..." :)

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons