Skip to main content

Five!



Dear Mallory:

Tomorrow you will be five years old. You can write your name (and mine); you can draw bunnies and spaceships and people and flowers; you can make yourself “go high” on the swings; you can get lost in the imaginary worlds you create with your dolls. You ask the strangest, most impossible questions; you beg for dessert seventeen times a day; you scream louder than I ever thought possible for a child. You can probably do many, many things that you claim that you can’t (pedal a bicycle, for example, or put on your own shoes). You love family hugs and ice cream, princesses and dancing, singing and “Pinky Dinky Doo.” You like to rhyme words, to do art projects, and to dictate elaborate notes to your friends. You love to play with your friends and get wild with excitement when we have visitors. You prefer dresses to pants and you don’t like to have your hair brushed. You have beautiful hazel eyes with long lashes and when you’re telling us something very, very important you squeeze your eyes together and curl up the left side of your mouth. You are a sweet, sweet big sister to Phoebe (when you’re not knocking her over). Your trademark phrases are “always remember that,” “are you telling the truth?” and “how do you know?” You’re not a baby anymore, but you still like to sit in my lap, and I’m always happy to have you there.

Five years ago, a few hours after you were born, you and I were all alone in our hospital room. You wanted to nurse and I wasn’t quite sure what I was doing, but somehow I got you latched on and you gave it a try and your little, dark blue eyes rolled back in your head and you smiled like you were in heaven. That’s when I fell in love with you, and I swore that I would do anything in my power to keep you just that happy for the rest of your life.

I learned soon enough that it would never again be quite that easy (although sometimes I have to remember that it’s not that hard, either – for as much as you love big spectacles like Sesame Street Live or Disney on Ice, you also love little things like surprise picnics in the yard, or just sitting down to read a story). But I’ve already failed spectacularly too -- lately another phrase you use often is, “Mommy, you’re mean!” You’ve had to learned – in some cases, earlier than I’d have liked – that you can’t always have what you want; that sometimes I have to leave you; that not everyone else in the world wants to be your friend (as impossible as that is for me to believe); that things don’t always work out the way you think they should. And what I’ve learned is that it’s my job as your mom not to make you happy, but to give you enough confidence and support and love so that you can create happiness within yourself.

One night, probably six months ago, we were coming home from someplace and you fell asleep in the car. I had to carry you through the garage, through the house, up the stairs, into your room, and then hoist you up onto your bunk bed. You’re a heavy kid and I wasn’t even halfway there before I realized I couldn’t carry you any further. My shoulders were singing, my back was on fire, my wrists were about to snap. But I held on, and I got you there, because the alternative was letting you fall.

And that’s what parenting is about – doing more, every day, than I consider myself capable of doing. It’s pouring endless cups of juice and making millions of peanut butter sandwiches. It’s reading “Max’s Dragon Shirt” over and over and over when I wish I could be reading The New Yorker instead. It’s listening to the same ridiculous Elmo tape every time we get in the car, for four years. Its countless bath times, and arguments about bedtime, and tedious explanations (every morning!) about what’s going to happen that day. It’s hundreds of reminders not to push your sister, or sit on the dog, or stand on the coffee table. It’s answering questions and playing games and complimenting artwork and finding socks (why can’t you keep those socks on?) and giving horsey rides and saying “Great job!” even when my patience is utterly exhausted. And it’s loving you more and more each and every minute of every day.

So here’s my new promise to you, my no-longer-a-baby girl. I have every confidence that you are smart and brave and strong enough to go down life’s road on your own two feet. But if you ever need me to, I will carry you as far as I can: and then I will carry you farther.

Happy birthday, ladybug. I love you!

Mommy

Comments

aimee said…
Sitting here, crying, I am reminded how lucky we are to be moms. You are an awesome mom, Krista, and to write this letter to your daughter is such a wonderful birthday gift. What a sweet promise--I will carry you as far as I can and then I will carry you farther. That is what parenthood is all about. Thank you.

Tell Mallory "happy birthday" from us because we were snowed in and couldn't get a card. Tell her we miss her and hope she has a wonderful birthday!
Anonymous said…
What a great happy birthday letter! She may not appreciate it much now, but when she is older, she will treasure it.

Happy Birthday from Grandmom and Granddad.

Mom
H Noble said…
That was beautiful Krista. She will cherish that someday, and all of the moments of specialness until then. Hope she had a good birthday.
Holly

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons