Skip to main content

Girl Trouble

Mallory went to play with her across-the-street friends last week. I think that I’ve previously referred to them as Maggie and Lizzie, so I’ll stick with that although those are not their actual names. Anyway. Mallory used to love to play with Maggie and Lizzie, would beg every day to play with Maggie and Lizzie, and in fact spent every Friday of last school year over there.

Well, she came home last Sunday and said, “I am never going to play at Maggie and Lizzie’s house again. You can’t make me.”

Upon questioning, she would only say that they were mean to her. She wouldn’t provide any other details, but she has remained steadfast in her refusal to play with them. A couple of times she’s said, “Can I play with Maggie and Lizzie –“ and then caught herself and said, “—oh wait, they’re mean, never mind.”

I don’t know exactly what happened. I have noticed in the past that the oldest was a bit snotty to Mallory, but not earth-shatteringly so. I certainly don’t think that their mother would have tolerated any mean-ness going on out in the open, so I can only assume that the girls got in some kind of fight when out of the mom’s earshot.

I’m sorry about it, not least because these people are our neighbors, after all. My main reaction, however, is, this is happening already? She’s only five!

I know little girls – well, big girls too -- are notorious for being fickle about their friends. When I was a teenager, I used to declare that I didn’t want daughters, only sons, because I knew how hard it was to be a teenage girl and I didn’t want to have to watch any daughter of mine go through that. (Apparently it didn’t occur to me that teenage boys have their own problems.) The cliques, the jousting for position, the endless assessment of who’s popular and who’s not – it’s the stuff of nightmares.

And I’m ashamed to say that I was as bad as they come, at least in junior high. I was one of a group of five friends known as the “smart kids.” We were picked on because we read books (gasp!) and weren’t that pretty (although who really is pretty in junior high?) and weren’t good at sports. I should’ve been grateful that, in the face of all that, I had four good friends to hang out with. Instead, I was always deciding that I was mad at one of them or not speaking to the other. I am really ashamed of this behavior now; I cringe to remember it. I’m sure it never occurred to me that I was as cruel to my friends as the “popular kids” were to me. With the space of time I realize that I was just trying to assert a bit of power over the situation. Plus, I was known as the “Smartest Girl in School” -- it wasn’t much, but it was all I had -- but I think I must have known deep down that in fact two of my friends were probably smarter than I was in some ways, which in turn made me feel insecure, so I retaliated by not speaking them for months at a time. Why they stuck with me, I do not know. I managed to get over myself by eighth grade, I think, and we did fine throughout high school. By the time I was a sophomore I didn’t even care about being popular. But I wouldn’t wish those middle years on my worst enemy.

Or on my daughters, to come back to the point, but I guess they’re going to have to go through all that anyway. I hope they make it through unscathed. I hope they are able to care more for their friends’ feelings than for their own status. I hope they don’t judge themselves by the arbitrary standards of the “popular” kids. I hope they judge others by the amount of brains and humor and compassion and kindness they possess, rather by the kinds of jeans they were or the brand of cell phones they have. Mostly I hope no one is ever mean to my kids. Because I can shield them from the across-the-street neighbors if I have to, but I can’t shield them from the whole world. What’s that saying – having a child is allowing your heart to walk around outside of your body. I don’t know if I’m ready for heartbreak yet.

Comments

aimee said…
I hate to say it, but girls are just mean. I was one too. A mean girl. I did the same thing. I even got into a fight with my "best" friend in jr. high because she didn't sit with me at lunch and by the end of the day, I had pretty much my whole grade hating her.

I think we all go through that and you just have to hope that Mallory and Phoebe are the "mean" ones and not the ones picked on. Kidding! Sort of. :)

What I really mean is that you just have to hope that they find some really good friends in school, stick by them and learn to love themselves and hopefully they'll get through those years without much bitterness.

And know they can always call their Aunt Aimee who can tell them that they are the coolest, most beautiful, most awesome girls she knows. :)

Man, I am glad I don't have girls. I am still in denial about what teenage boys go through. :)
MomofK9s said…
Krista-
Well, I don't think I am a whole lot different now than I was then. I was the "friend of everybody" plus senstive about myself and others. I stuck up for nerdy people but the popular kids also sat with me at lunch etc. Even in first and second grade I was always sticking up for those who did not stick up for themselves (ask Chris about the Salisbury Steak incident). I wasn't a bully but I didn't let anyone pick on anyone either.

In High School, I was not considered nerdy but not in the popular group either. I was in this weird middle group. Even weirder still was I always considered Christopher my best friend, (Still do actually.)so we had different disagreements than high school girlfriends do. Being in the middle gave me this strange perspective about both groups.

I just hope that Mallory and Phoebe grow up to have a good outlook on themselves and see how wonderful they are without being conceited of course! Haha!Seriously though, I learned it doesn't matter what group you are in as long as you are happy.

Plus, as their Auntie Mimi if anyone picks on them, those kids will have to deal with me. That should scare any mean girls away! :-)
H Noble said…
Oh, how I wish I could take back so much of my junior high years, and some of high school as well!!! It stinks not being in the 'popular', 'athletic' group b/c you are automatically inferior, but I wish I had seen the value in what I was good at. Hindsight...
I'm assuming your Mallory will come around soon, or the other girls will be devastated without her and things will be right as rain, hopefully.
H

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.