Skip to main content

Two!

Dear Phoebe,

It's your second birthday! You're the second child, so you're used to seconds -- second-hand clothes, second-hand books and toys -- not to mention a mother who's doing a second-rate job of maintaining things like your baby book and photo albums. I know that shoved in the back of my sock drawer is the post-it note I used to record contractions the night I went into labor with you, and I think I saw your hospital bracelet tucked in the back of our kitchen junk drawer. I did scribble down most of your "firsts" on a calendar: first tooth -- six months; first step -- ten months; first word -- doggie; first time you slept through the night -- well, we're still waiting for that, aren't we? Life has been so busy and full since you came along that I just don't have time to sort out all the memorabilia. Maybe when you're twelve I'll get around to it.



I never had second thoughts about you, but I admit there were times I second-guessed myself in those first few weeks. You were so completely different from your sister in terms of eating and sleeping that I thought I must be doing something wrong. One day when you were about a week old, you and I were in the rocking chair and you were crying because you were hungry, but I couldn't get you latched on correctly. Then Mallory came in the room and started to cry because she wanted me to play with her. Then I started to cry because here were my two favorite people in the world, my girls, and I was failing both of them at the same time and I just knew that you were both going to be scarred for life because of your horrible mother. Luckily things improved from that point. You've probably had to cry a bit more than your sister ever had to, and share attention that she had all to herself, but you also have the privilege of having a big sister who loves you very much. (I promise she does, even if she doesn't always act like it!)



The second time around, I didn't worry too much about those developmental milestones; I knew from Mallory that babies do things on their own schedule. That said, you've been a bit ahead of the curve: walking at 10.5 months, talking at a year. Now you can carry on real conversations that almost make sense. ("Monsters scare me." "They do?" "Monsters have vewy tiny faces.") And you're the only two-year-old I know who can sing not only the standards -- Twinkle Twinkle, Wheels on the Bus -- but also "Tomorrow," Olivia Newton John's "Physical," and the Beatles' "Babies in Black." You're amazing, and funny -- a cuckoo bird, you call yourself, or sometimes a silly goose -- and I love waiting to see what you'll come up with next.



Mallory probably considers you her second-in-command, but the truth is you'd much rather give orders than take them. "I don't want to!" is probably your favorite sentence. You were a bit over a year old the first time you told Mallory, "Hey! Be nice!" and now you sometimes referee your own squabbles with a "Girls! No pushing!" You have a will of iron, and while I'm afraid that might make the two's a bit terrible, I also hope that it will allow you to grow to be someone strong and self-assured and capable.



They say that when you have one child, you're a couple with a baby, but your second child makes you a family. I don't know if that's quite true. I do know that since you've been here, life has been a bit more complicated but also worlds more complete. Every second of the day I'm grateful for your big blue eyes, your funny laugh, your sweet (albeit rare) hugs, your unique way of moving through the world. They also say that a second child doesn't halve a mother's love -- it multiplies it. I agree with that one completely. Happy birthday, sweet girl.



P.S. I'm sorry I had to go to work today, and even sorrier that you were crying when I left. If I hadn't taken all of last week off, I would've been able to stay home with you. Or if you'd planned better and been born on the recent federal holiday, it wouldn't be a problem at all. I'll make it up to you, I promise.

UPDATE: So far Phoebe has celebrated her birthday by locking Chris out of the house and watching Blue's Clues for 30 minutes while he knocked on the door trying to get her attention. Apparently she feels that 2 is quite old enough to be in the house unsupervised!

Comments

aimee said…
Uh oh! The terrible twos started right on time! Ha! I remember when Rhett locked me out of the house. His little baby bro was on the floor, the tv was on and he left the room to get a stool to help him unlock the door. But he was so distracted by the tv that it took him about 30 minutes to head toward the door. Ah two year olds are a lot of fun.

Happy Birthday Phoebe!!!
H Noble said…
Oh, that's too funny! And I would probably be freaking out!
I love your letters to the girls, Krista. I know they will cherish those someday.
Holly

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons