Skip to main content

Old Friends

If you're lucky, you may have a few people in your life with whom you always feel at home, no matter how much time may pass between visits. My college roommate Janaki, who came to visit two weeks ago, is one of those people for me.

On paper, we didn't have much in common, so I'm not sure how we were "matched" as roommates our first year at Trinity. Me -- small-town girl, daughter of a cattle farmer, with aspirations of becoming a novelist; her -- Hindu from Dallas, ambitions to become a doctor. But apart from a slight awkwardness when I told her what my father did for a living, we clicked right away, and lived together for two years (until I went to England and she became an RA), mostly in harmony. We were both studious, both a little naive, both more interested in talking about the crazy things that college kids tend to do than in doing those crazy things ourselves.

She was pre-med, I was an English major. While I read my way through Norton's Anthology, and stayed up til the wee hours writing papers, she had late-night study sessions with her Biology and Chem classmates. She told me about the beauty of molecular bonds (or something, I'm sorry to say I've forgotten the details), while I waxed rhapsodic about Hedda Gabbler and Yeats. We'd spend our Saturday afternoons at the library, then wander campus at night, dropping in on friends; or we'd go to TC's for tortillas and chips. Most of the friends I made at Trinity were people Janaki introduced me to.

Janaki was the first person to whom I said, "I think I may have to break up with High School Sweetheart," and the first person to whom I said, "I HAVE to study in England!" She told me stories about her visits to India, and about being a first-generation American, opening my eyes to a culture I knew little about. Back in 1991, she told me about the Internet, and email, and I said with a shrug, "What a waste of time. That'll never catch on!"

She wore a bracelet with a small golden bell that jingled when she moved.

Fourteen years have passed since we've graduated, and we still have little in common, on paper; she's a doctor in San Francisco, I'm a suburban mom. But we've kept in touch, and we always manage to connect. We talk about things we've learned about our fellow alumni, and the same things strike both of us -- Can you belive he married her? Did you hear what she's doing now? When she came to visit, I listened to her stories and felt like I was back in Miller Hall. When Phoebe refused to give her a hug, she laughed and said, "Just like a Renner!" It was as though no time had passed at all.

Even so, I hope that fourteen more years don't pass before we see each other again.

Comments

aimee said…
I remember when you told me Janaki's family lived near or was neighbor's to George Straight and they asked him what he did for a living. That was so funny to me!

I am glad you and her still connect. Those friends are rare and precious.

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...