Skip to main content

Stealing a page

Last week, Aimee posted some of my nephew's journal entries from his 1st-grade year. Mallory brought home her journals on Thursday; I hadn't even known that they kept journals, so this was a nice surprise. She handed me the one from September and said, "Look at how sloppy my handwriting was! What was I thinking when I was five?" Her class only did journal entries on Mondays, so generally Mallory just recounted her weekend adventures. Here are some of my favorites:

January 22: I wet to pla en the snow. I mad a sno ajul and I at sum snow and I cam inssid to haf sum hit jiclit. (I went to play in the snow. I made a snow angel and I ate some snow and I came inside to have some hot chocolate.)

February 25: I'm haveg a dol prdy. Im geteg a pupy. (I'm having a doll party. I'm getting a puppy. We did not get a puppy in February, by the way.)

March 31: I wint to the hotel to swem. I went to the bech to find seshels. I went to the acwreeim. (aquarium)

April 7: I wete to see hotin hesaho. I winte to go to my gramas hous. I winte to the pets stor to bie to feshes. (I went to see Horton Hears a Who. I went to go to my Grandma's house. I went to the pet store to buy two fishes. Also a lie about the fish, by the way.)

April 21: I sawe a pink ranbow.

May 28: I wint to ride on a horse. I wint to my thrinds hous. I wint to the bousee house. (I went to ride a horse -- you guessed it, also a lie. I went to my friend's house. I went to the bouncy house.)

About the "thrind" -- Mallory had, until recently, still been pronouncing three and Thursday as "free" and "firsday." She makes great pains to pronounce her "th"s correctly now; however, now first and friend have become thirst and thrind. Someday she'll get it all right. And I'll be a little bit sad when she does.

Comments

aimee said…
So cute! That is amazing that she wrote so much! In Kindergarten!! I like that she is so imaginative! ;)
Anonymous said…
It is amazing that she wrote so much! And if you hadn't translated, I probably could have figured out most of them.

Mom
H Noble said…
I especially like the 'hit jiclit'. I of course knew what she meant, seeing as how that is my very favorite beverage. :)
Holly

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...