Skip to main content

First Day of First Grade

Snippets of conversation as we embarked on our new school year:

Me: Phoebe, it's time to get up now.

Phoebe (as she opens her eyes): Yes, but I need to wear my Tinkerbell underwear and my polka dot skirt today.

***

Mallory: Are we going to have a party with presents for me after school today, to celebrate being in thirst grade?

Me: No.

Mallory: Well, Mommy, do you know who made school? God. And do you know who made me? God. So don't you think God would want me to have presents?

Me: No.

***

Me: Phoebe, do you want butter on your waffle?

Phoebe: What, Mommy?

Me: Do you want butter on your waffle?

Phoebe: Yes, but you're not Mommy, actually, you're my Grannie.

Me: Okay. Do you want butter on your waffle?

Phoebe: Yes, but I'm not Phoebe, I'm Baby Violet.

Me: Baby Violet, do you want butter on your waffle?

Baby Violet: No.

***

Mallory: Oh geez, I just got sneeze on my uniform.

Baby Violet: Bless you!

***

Mallory: Phoebe, don't you wish you could come to school with me?

Me: Mallory, hush!

Phoebe: Yes, but I'm Baby Violet.

Mallory: Baby Violet, don't you wish you could come to school with me?

Me: Mallory!

BV: Yes, I want to go too!

Mallory: Sorry, you can't.

BV: Waah!

Me: Just get in the car already.

***

Mallory: Are we late?

Me: No, we're right on time.

Mallory: Won't my teacher be proud of me for not being late!

Me: Only if we continue the trend.

***

And...pictures! Here is Mallory at her locker. She has to share her locker with another child. I hope she has a better experience than I did. Phoebe was not supposed to be in this shot, by the way. Figures the one time I get her to smile for me is in a picture that is not about her.



And, just for comparison, here she is on her first day of Kindergarten:



and here she is today:



That's the exact same uniform...you think she's grown any? Look at her shoulder in relation to the doorknob. Wow. I don't know why she seems to be unable to stand up straight for a photograph. I acknowledge, by the way, the rather unkempt appearance of her hair. She is determined to grow her hair out to be just like Hannah Montana's. In the interim, she refuses to use any kind of containment device (headband, barrette). We're going to have to have a serious hair discussion soon.

Oh, and yes, Mallory has persisted in saying "first" with a th- sound -- thirst grade. I suppose my goal for this year of school is for her to learn how to say it correctly.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow! She not only has grown in height, her face looks more mature.

Mom
aimee said…
She has gotten so much taller! I am glad her uniform still fits.

Phoebe cracks me up.

Popular posts from this blog

I ask you

This is my garden: Or rather, this is the patch of soil that was my garden last summer. It produced millions of tomatoes, dozens of green peppers, a handful of cucumbers, and two puny watermelons. I do not wish to repeat last summer's vegetable bounty, because most of said bounty went to waste. Nor, however, do I want this patch of soil to remain brown and bare throughout the summer, because it's unattractive. So, what do I plant here, in the shrubbery/flowery vein? Keep in mind that I do not have a green thumb. Also, I don't want to spend a lot of money. Also, this area is in full sun most of the day. And it's really hot. And sometimes we get rabbits. Any advice? To thank you in advance, I give you these goofy photos of my children and their homemade parfaits (which Mallory persisted in calling "specialinis").

It's what's for dinner

One of the things that I failed to appreciate about my mom until I left home is that she always made dinner (although I think we called it supper then), by which I mean, something hot, usually involving a vegetable. I don't remember my mom ever saying sheepishly to her hungry spouse and offspring, "I don't feel like cooking, how about a bowl of cereal?" I hate making dinner. Haaate it. It's my least favorite chore. It's not necessarily because I can't cook. I can usually manage to create something edible, although I have yet to perfect the science of getting, say, the chicken and the broccoli and the rice and the rolls all ready at the same time. (There are those among you who may be surprised that I make and serve broccoli. It's true! It's best when roasted: Toss with olive oil and salt, spread on a baking sheet, put in 400 degree oven for about 8 minutes. It's delicious! Delicious as broccoli can be, at least.) It's also not necessarily t...

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.