Skip to main content

Lucky baby; poor kids

 

As you can see, Phoebe found her Christmas present. It was craftily hidden right the middle of our bedroom floor. Is anyone surprised that Chris was able to find one of the elusive and coveted Tickle Me Elmos? I personally think we should just sell it on ebay; I can't stand talking Elmo toys. Phoebe will of course love it. The first thing she does most mornings is sit up in bed, peer over the side, and say, "Mo? Mo?" until someone fetches her an Elmo toy.




On January 19, 2005 (which happened to be my 33rd birthday), my fair city was hit by a freak snowstorm, and the result was a traffic gridlock that paralyzed all the major highways, byways, and boulevards for hours. I left my office at 2:30 p.m. and didn’t get home until midnight. I could’ve driven to Chicago in that amount of time.

The worst part (other than the fact that I was pregnant and after three hours on the freeway I really, really, really needed to pee but it was another four hours before I could get off the freeway and find a bathroom) was that Mallory was stuck at daycare while I (and Chris) were stuck on the highways. Luckily, I was able to get through to my father-in-law (the phone lines were jammed too) and he was able to go rescue her by 6:30 or so. She ended up sleeping at their house that night – her very first night away from me.

This impromptu sleepover has become one of Mallory’s strongest memories; she often talks about the “day it snowed.” Last week we drove by her old daycare and she said, “Do you remember that day it snowed and you were stuck in straffic?”

“Yes, I remember.”

“Papa came to pick me up and I cried because I missed you,” she said.

“Yes, I missed you too,” I said. “But you know, you were really lucky that Papa was able to come get you. Lots of kids had to spend the night at school because their parents were stuck in traffic too and couldn’t get to them.”

“Why didn’t their Papas come pick them up?” she asked.

“Well, not all kids have papas who live close by the way you do,” I said.

Mallory sighed. “Those poor kids,” she said. Pause. Then she asked, “Are they still there?” Posted by Picasa

Comments

Anonymous said…
What! Chris found the elusive Tickle-me Elmo. I can't believe it! I remember the big snow too because I was trying to call you to wish you a happy birthday and couldn't imagine where you were.

Mom
Anonymous said…
I can't believe all of the funny things that come out of Mallory's mouth! Thanks for sharing them because they always make my day brighter and happier!
H Noble said…
That sure puts traffic in perspective. Next time I'm complaining that it took an hour and a half to get home, I'll think of you!
Holly
Anonymous said…
Yesterday, we went to Toys R Us and there were signs all over that said No Tickle Me Elmos. So good job Chris! I am lucky my boys never got into him. I think it is because I never let them.

Are they still there! That will keep me laughing all day!

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.