Skip to main content

Phoebe infected; Mallory in denial

Phoebe update: Ear infection and Coxsackie disease all at once! Poor baby. But she slept from 6:30 last night to 8:00 this morning, which is some kind of record for her.

My mother-in-law, Claudia, occasionally volunteers at Mallory's preschool. Yesterday she was there checking all the kids for lice. (She's a nurse. None found.) On the way home she mentioned to Mallory that one of the kids in the 3-year-old room cried the whole morning. "Why did she cry so much?" Mallory asked.

"Well, why do you think a kid would cry so much at preschool?" Claudia asked.

"Hm. It must have been that mommy thing," Mallory said.

After she stopped laughing, Claudia confirmed that Mallory's guess was correct. "I would never cry just because I wanted my mommy," Mallory said. Which, of course, is a huge lie because she did that very thing all the years she was in daycare and even last year and even a few days ago when I dared to go upstairs without informing her first. Sigh. How quickly they forget.

Comments

Krista said…
It's a virus that causes ulcers on the back of the throat. And I may have spelled it wrong!
Anonymous said…
Yuck. Poor Phoebe. Mallory is such a kick!

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...