Skip to main content

Mother of the Year

Mallory has chicken pox.

Mallory has had chicken pox, in fact, since last Thursday. In the interim, she has gone to preschool twice and had three separate playdates.

You can pin my medal on my lapel. The trophy can go on the mantel.

We noticed the first spots last week, but chicken pox didn't even occur to me; I thought they were bug bites. She's had the vaccine! (Note: The vaccine is not foolproof.) And she wasn't sick at all. And she did not itch. And I was preoccupied with Phoebe, who is just miserable with her sore throat and hasn't eaten a single thing since Friday. But last night while giving Mallory a bath I noticed that she had more spots, and that they were kind of blistery-looking. So this morning we went to the doctor's (my third trip this week, hooray) and it was confirmed. She has a very mild case (because she has been vaccinated), which is why she hasn't felt bad and why she's not absolutely covered in spots (they're mostly on her stomach and chest). But she's still of course contagious.

So I extend my apologies to the entire preschool and to her friends and their little siblings. Hope no one else gets the pox.

I do, however, hope that Phoebe gets the pox, in spite of her existing level of misery. Since she's so young, she'd probably have a very mild case anyway, and then she'd have natural immunity, which is much better than the vaccination. As I now know.

ART for the Day

Last night while driving home, Mallory pointed up at the moon. "Look, it's a circle moon!" she said.

"Well, not quite," I said, because in fact the moon is not full this week.

"Yes it is," Mallory said.

"Okay, it almost is."

"It is!"

"All right."

"Is it a circle?"

"Yes, it's a circle," I said.

Pause. "How do you know?"

Comments

H Noble said…
I'm sorry! No fun at your house right now!
Hope they get to feeling better soon and that you don't get run down and sick yourself.
Holly

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...