Skip to main content

7 Things

Everyone else with a blog is doing this, so why not me? Here are 7 things you may not know about me.

1. I often get obsessed with topics and spend weeks reading everything I can find about them. This happened much more often in college and graduate school, mostly when I was procrastinating doing my actual schoolwork. Examples include: the fate of the Romanov family (Anastasia did, sadly, die with the rest of them); the Lindbergh kidnapping (I don’t think Hauptmann did it); and Robert Falcon Scott’s expedition to the South Pole (I don’t think he was a great leader, but I also think he had some really bad luck).

2. I have breastfed both of my kids well into toddlerhood. I know that’s out of the ordinary and it’s nothing I really planned to do; it’s just that we kept hitting the “usual” cut-off dates (6 months, 9 months, 1 year) and I couldn’t think of any real good reason to stop. Mallory nursed until she was 32 months (although only for naps and bedtime for about the last six months of that); Phoebe is almost two and still nursing. (She’s much more intense about nursing than Mallory ever was.) There are lots of good reasons to nurse past infancy, as the benefits of breastmilk continue to apply – it supports the immune system, it decreases the risks of diabetes, ear infections, and other diseases, it helps with proper jaw/teeth development – and it’s still, of course, extremely nutritious, which is handy on those days when, for example, Phoebe eats nothing besides a handful of raisins, a piece of toast, and a lollipop. It’s good for bonding, too, which obviously means a lot to me as a work-outside-the-home-mom. I would like to become involved somehow in breastfeeding advocacy; I believe that every woman should at least try to breastfeed in the beginning, but I also know that even though it supposed to be “natural,” it can be very difficult and painful, and that oftentimes women don’t have the support/information necessary to be successful.

3. Okay, this one needs to be much shorter…so, the first thing I do when I come home from work every day is remove my jewelry and my bra (see #2, above. Ha!). I can’t stand to wear those items in the house.

4. I hate calling strangers on the phone – things like making a doctor’s appointment, placing a take-out order, and so forth make me really nervous.

5. I am against capital punishment but for abortion rights, and yes, the inconsistency of that does bother me.

6. I didn’t know about the Oklahoma City bombing until the day after it happened. I was in graduate school at the time and had a term paper due. I spent all day in the library, rode the bus home, watched Simpsons and Seinfeld reruns while I ate dinner, and then spent all night on the computer. Imagine my surprise when I picked up a newspaper the next morning.

7. When I was younger – 11 or 12 – I spent a whole summer trying to “become” left-handed, or at least ambidextrous. To my disappointment, it didn’t take.

Comments

aimee said…
1. I do that too! Lately it has been about global warming, but I have done that about JFK, OKC Bombing (just recently), 911 and Josephine.

2. Good for you. I hope that you do become involved in that. Breastfeeding is still such a taboo it seems in this country. (Especially after a certain point)

3. lol!

4. Me too!!!

5. At least you know where you stand. :)

6. I knew about it but the impact did not hit me until I moved here and saw the memorial. Then I was like, "Oh. This was really bad."

7. Hilarious!

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.