Skip to main content

Summertime!

I’m glad it’s summer. For one thing, it means the end of the morning rush to get the kids up, dressed, fed and out the door at a specific time. I’m really bad at that so it’s nice to have a three-month reprieve. For another thing, it means that the girls will have a lot more time to spend together, and that’s nice because they’re finally at the stage that they can actually play together and have real conversations.

For example, the other morning I was up getting dressed while the kids slept. I heard Phoebe making noises so I went down the hall to get her. Then I stopped outside the door because she wasn’t actually calling for me, she was singing a song. I listened for a minute, and then I heard Mallory say, “Phoebe, are you singing?”

“Yeah!” Phoebe said.

“What are you singing about?”

“My toes hurt!”

“Your toes hurt?”

“Yeah.”

“Why do your toes hurt?”

“A-cause.”

“Well, I’m sorry about that.”

“My-ee’s toe hurts?”

“No, my toes are okay.”

“Oh. Good!”

They like to play Barbies together too – or rather, they play Barbies in the same room, and Phoebe echoes the conversations that Mallory makes up with her dolls. So Mallory will have one doll say to another: “Hello Seeping Bleauty*, that’s a pretty dress, would you like to marry me today?”, Phoebe will have her doll say, “Hello, dress, today!” Then Mallory says, “No, I don’t want to marry you because I’m going to marry Aladdin,” and Phoebe will say, “No, I don’t want, Aladdin!”

They also like to chase the poor dog around, and to pile pillows up at the bottom of the stairs and jump (Mallory shouting “Rocketship!” and Phoebe shouting “This fun!”). And the other day while I was half-asleep in a cold-induced haze, they spent thirty minutes in their playroom giggling and shrieking and doing something entirely** fun which involved, I later discovered, the smashing up of many many crayons into the carpet.

It’s nice that Mallory is getting along so nicely with Phoebe (except when she doesn’t) because she’s certainly pushing her parent’s buttons a lot lately. On Wednesday she insisted on staying in the bedroom where I was trying to put Phoebe down for a nap. She claimed to be sleepy too, but she wouldn’t stop talking. I told her she had to settle down. She wouldn’t. I said, “Mallory, if you don’t stop arguing with me you’ll have to leave the room.” She said, “If I leave the room, I’ll have no one to argue with!”

She’s developed a cast of imaginary friends with very convenient characteristics. For example, her friend Madeline “never has to buckle her seat belt, and the police do not care one bit. True!” And last night she told me about her friend Ashley. “You know my friend Ashley? Well, her parents wouldn’t let her leave her closet light on all night, and she definitely died. She did!”

Phoebe, on the other hand, is very polite. She says “Take-you” and “No-take-you” and “Please” and something resembling “You’re welcome.” She asks for hugs and kisses and says “I you!” for “I love you.” She does get a bit impatient with me when I can’t quite decipher what she means. The other night she was asking for a book off the shelf. “This one!” she said. I pointed to one. “This one?” I asked. “No! This that one!” she clarified. Later I asked if she needed help doing something and she said, “No, I don’t want Mommy help you!” Her favorite thing is her daddy’s “mean monkey” routine which really you have to see to understand.

It should be a fun summer.

*Seeping Bleauty is my all-time favorite kid-pronunciation. In fact Mallory now says this correctly, but I needed to record it for posterity.

**Mallory uses the word “entire” or “entirely” when she means “actual” or “really.” It’s too funny to correct and I’ve kind of internalized it and find myself using “entirely” when it’s not…entirely….appropriate.

Comments

aimee said…
Isn't it fun when they play nicely together? I love it!

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...