Skip to main content

I say too many

My father-in-law planted a garden in my backyard, and it produced tomatoes:

Lots of tomatoes. Lots and lots of tomatoes:

Now, some people claim that there is nothing more delicious than a fresh tomato, but unfortunately, none of those people live in my house. But as much as I didn’t really want to eat all these tomatoes, I also didn’t want to waste them, so I decided to preserve them. My family does love pasta, after all, and pizza and lasagna too (well, except for Phoebe, but she doesn’t like anything that is not a grain of some kind), and I thought it would be great to have a bunch of fresh-made tomato sauce on hand for the long winter months ahead.

So I found a recipe for making fresh tomato sauce (and freezing it – I wasn’t keen on canning, I’m not that domestic) and set aside Saturday for the project. And – well, here’s the thing. When you blog, sometimes there are certain experience that you look at from a blogger’s point of view, right? So I not only documented the process with photos, but I also kind of kept a running commentary in my head, and at certain steps I’d think, here’s when I’ll write that things were not going well, but by the end I’ll show that it all turned out to be worth it after all – which turned out to be not quite the case, but I guess that just adds to the fun, right?


So. I had, I guess, about 4 dozen tomatoes on Saturday afternoon. Now, my recipe said to use tomatoes that had been fresh-picked – as in, picked that very day -- but honestly, I don’t know what kind of tomato plants this recipe writer has going on, but my tomatoes didn’t all ripen on the very same day. So I had some that had been in the fridge for at least a week, and were getting a bit leathery, and I had others that were still the slightest bit green. I figured it would all balance out.

First, I cored and chopped. This is about halfway through:

Then I pureed. I don’t have a full-size food processor, so I had to use my Magic Bullet. This took a long, long time.

Here’s the pot full of tomato puree. It looked distinctly pink and frothy.

The recipe said to simmer the puree for 6-8 hours, stirring every half-hour. I told Chris we wouldn’t be going out to dinner that night.

About halfway through cooking. It was also about halfway reduced; the color had deepened, and it smelled good. (Although Mallory complained that she didn’t like the tomato odor at all.)

About six hours in, it was nice and thick, but also full of seeds and pulp and things. The recipe said that removing the seeds was optional, but that leaving the seeds in could result in “bitterness”. I decided to run it through a food mill to get rid of the debris.


Of course, what remained after the milling was very thin – it was more tomato juice than tomato sauce, so I had to return it to the pot and cook it for an additional hour to thicken it back up. By this time it was eleven o’clock and I was heartily sick of tomatoes. When the hour was up I put the lid on the pot and stowed the whole thing in the refrigerator, not wanting to mess with portioning it up for freezing that night.

The next morning, though, I divided it up in these two-cup containers.

And that’s what I got. After all those tomatoes, all the chopping and pureeing and cooking and stirring, I ended up with eleven measly cups of tomato sauce. Which is maybe three jars of Prego. And it still seemed kind of thin, so when I use it, I’m going to have to bulk it up with…canned tomato sauce. Along with whatever herbs and spices and whatnot it takes to make a yummy sauce. Which I probably won’t figure out on my first try, because I’m not an instinctively good cook, so it’ll probably take me two or three attempts to make anything decent out of this sauce. And then it will be gone. For good, because I’m not doing this again, ever.

Except…this is what I found in my garden last night:

Sigh. I think this time I’ll just make some salsa.


aimee said…
That is hilarious. Because that would be something I would do and be so disappointed that I would never ever do it again.
H Noble said…
Good for you for trying! Our two tomato plants: one has made one tomato all summer and the other makes little tomatoes the size of your fingernail, and Eli eats them off the plant before I ever get to them. Sigh. Wish I lived closer to you b/c we love tomatoes!!!

Popular posts from this blog

New Math

This word problem was on Mallory's math homework last week:

Lesia has 32 stickers. Diana has a few stickers. Lesia adds their stickers. She has to regroup when she adds. How many stickers does Lesia have? Circle the number.

We puzzled til our puzzlers were sore, but we still couldn't figure out the answer. I wrote a note beside the problem: "Mrs. G., this problem didn't make sense to either Mallory or her parents."

The next day the paper came back with a note from Mrs. G. She circled the last line of the problem and wrote:

"Misprint! This should have said Diana."

Okay! Whew! I was relieved to know that I wasn't, in fact, dumber than a second grader.

Except then I realized that I still didn't understand how the answer could be 3, 5, 6, or 8.*

I can't wait til she gets to algebra.

*Unless what they're calling "regrouping" is what we used to call "carrying the ones." In which case the answer would be 8. I think. Maybe.

Yard Sale. YARD SALE!

Anyone who doesn’t hear Tom-Hanks-as-Woody-the-Cowboy screaming that line…hasn’t spent much time around small children. Or at least around small children who like to watch Disney movies.

We had a yard sale this weekend – we being me, Chris, his sister Amy, and his mom. Yikes, it was exhausting. There was much hauling of boxes and furniture and standing around and chasing Mallory and Phoebe about the driveway all Saturday long. I made a hundred bucks – not too shabby, I guess. Chris made about $75 selling the “dregs” of his toy collection. The main point, however, was to sell our old living room furniture because we’re getting a new sofa and chair today (it’s being delivered as we speak!). We did sell our beat-up love seat for $25, but there were no takers for the beat-up sofa sleeper or the recliner. Alas, but that’s the way it goes.

Most of what I sold was baby stuff – clothes, bouncy seats, playmats, and so forth. It was a relief to see it go. Right after Phoebe was born I had the urg…

Confederation, confederation, confederation

Mallory has a big Social Studies test today. She’s not doing well in Social Studies, this year. When I asked her why her grades were so low, she said, “I don’t like Social Studies. Besides, no one can be good at everything.” I thought this was a fair point, but let her know that it was not acceptable for her to do quite so poorly, whether she liked it or not.

We studied for hours for this test. We read the chapter twice, summarized main points, went over vocabulary words, filled in blanks and did true/false quizzes. There were moments when I despaired – as when I asked, “The villages of the Cherokee people came together to form a...” and she said, “Um...bison?” But I think she knows the material pretty well; honestly I’m not even sure what else we could have done to get her prepared. I told her we would like for her to get at least a B.

I know she’s nervous. I’m nervous for her. I slept poorly all night.

But, I also know more than I really wanted to know about the early peoples of …