Skip to main content

City Girl

Tonight the girls and I went for a walk. We have recently discovered a series of trails winding through the pine forests surrounding our neighborhood; tonight we took an unfamiliar one, and ended up having to hike through a grassy meadow and cross a little creek and so forth to get back to the street.

Phoebe was not pleased.

"I'm hot and sweaty!" she said. "Is that poison ivy? Is that a bug? I'm so hot! I don't like all these plants and things!"

"Phoebe, it's nature," Mallory said.

"Well nature is icky and gross!" Phoebe said.

The complaining did not stop when we regained the pavement. "My feet are wet and sticky from that creek!" Phoebe said. "I'm all itchy! I wish nature didn't even exist!"

From down the street came the sound of a crowing chicken. Phoebe shook her head and muttered darkly:

"Stupid chicken."

Comments

aimee said…
She is sounding more like Noah every day. I'll leave it up to you whether that is good or not. :)
Chris said…
We need to put "Stupid Chicken" on a t-shirt.
Karen said…
I guess that I'm glad that we don't live out in the country anymore. Phoebe would certainly be offended at the smells, sounds, and bugs!
Abbey said…
This made me laugh and think of a kid I had several years ago in my class. He would walk outside and if it was hot would look up at the sky and say "Stupid sun!!"

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...