Skip to main content

Pajama People

My Grandad John is an interesting mix of curmudgeonly (he tends to grunt rather than speak) and sentimental (he wore sunglasses to our weddings to hide his tears); I think he tended to be a softie when it came to his grandchildren. Nevertheless, all of us – my siblings and cousins – have our own story of The Time Grandad Yelled At Me. (My brother probably has more than one, actually, since, as the boy, he was required to work on the farm with Grandad and therefore was more often in his proximity.) My sisters’ stories have to do with vehicle mishaps, I believe – either getting stuck in the mud or locking keys within. For me, it was pajamas.

One Christmas, when I was 10 or 11, my parents went on a trip and left us all with our grandparents. (I think I was in 6th grade, in fact, because I’d gotten my first Walkman for Christmas. My other grandparents took me and Jana to see Yentl, which I despised, and then shopping at the mall, and I bought my very first cassette tape. Not the Yentl soundtrack, for I did not care whether Papa could hear her, but Air Supply. I wore out that tape.)

Anyway – while at Grandma and Grandad’s house, we spent the day doing a lot of nothing – playing games, reading, golfing. One day during this idyll Grandad came home for lunch, looked me up and down, and said: “Krista, why are you still in your pajamas? What’s the matter with you? Be a person, go put some clothes on.”

I was crushed – crushed! – by this criticism. I slunk off to the bedroom to change, fuming in the way only an 11-year-old girl can fume. Who cared if I was still in my pajamas? What did it matter that I hadn’t gotten dressed yet, even though it was close to noon? It’s not like we were going anywhere or doing anything important. And hadn’t I helped Grandma clear the table after breakfast and gather up laundry to wash, all in my pajamas? Wearing pajamas had nothing to do with being a person! Grandad was so mean!

Silly to have gotten so upset over it, of course, but I was, and it stuck with me. Not, perhaps, in the way that Grandad would have liked. To this day I have a reluctance to change out of my pajamas unless absolutely necessary; nor do I suggest to my children that they should change out of their pajamas unless we’re leaving the house. (Why muck up another outfit, for one thing?) Phoebe, being a fashionista, will usually change first thing in the morning (and then at various points throughout the day), but Mallory is content to stay pajama-ed until we go out for dinner. On weekends, if I do change, it’s usually into something pajama-esque. (Once Chris watched me change out of my pink pajama top and grey knit pajama pants into a pink sweatshirt and grey yoga pants and said: “And the point of that was…?”)

All this I do for comfort, of course, and out of pure laziness. But I do it with a little flash of defiance, too. I’m a pajama person, and I’m proud of it.

Comments

aimee said…
That is hilarious. He actually said, be a person?

I'm glad you are blogging again. :)
Chris said…
Huh. And here I was feeling guilty if I let the girls stay in their pajamas all day; I confess on a lot of days I make them change into real clothes right before you get home from work, lest you think I'm slack with them. Guess I know now you don't care! Good to know! :)
Karen said…
I think taht he told one of your cousins to be a person also and she stayed mad at him for, like, 10 years!

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...