Skip to main content

Terms of Endearment

Last year, every day when I dropped Mallory off at preschool she’d ask for a “Big Queeze.” She’d “queeze” me and then “queeze” Phoebe too. This summer she went through a weird kissing phase – she’d come up to me and say, “Don’t kiss!” and then kiss my right cheek, say “Don’t kiss!” again and then kiss my left cheek (the point was that I was not allowed to kiss her). Lately she’s been requesting a “hug with arms” (because those armless hugs are no good, I agree). Yesterday she hugged me and then said, “Mommy, I just can’t stop hugging and kissing you!”


She’s been very affectionate, as well, in the notes she dictates. In the past week she’s had me write notes that say, for example, “Phoebe is my favorite kind of friend,” and “Phoebe and Mallory really really love Krista.” I can’t reveal too much about the note she dictated for my mom’s birthday card because it was just put in the mail today, but rest assured it’s full of lovey-dovey stuff too.

And it’s a good thing that she’s so full of affection lately, because she’s been a real pain in the neck lately too. On Saturday she drew, with marker, all over her bunk bed. She picks on Phoebe relentlessly. She whines incessantly, she pinches me when I thwart her, and she refuses to comply with basic requests (brush your teeth, drink your milk). And Saturday night she drew me into this conundrum:

“Mommy, do you love me?”

“Of course I do.”

“Do you love me all the time?”

“Yes, all the time, no matter what.”

“Even when I do bad things?”

“Yes.”

“Really?”

“Yes. I don’t like the bad things you do, but I still love you no matter what.”

“Oh. So then it’s okay for me to do those bad things!”

“Well, no.”

“But you’ll forgive me, right?”

“Well, yes, but that doesn’t mean—“

“So then it’s okay!”

“Yes but….”

And she wasn’t really interested in hearing my thoughts on the matter after that. So I’m trapped! I’m doomed, as she is fond of saying, because I’m not quite able to explain the concept of goodness for goodness sake to my almost-5-year-old.



Just Finished Reading

Lord Byron’s Novel: The Evening Land by John Crowley. I didn’t like this book well enough to do a review of it. If you feel you would enjoy reading a fake novel by Lord Byron, then have at it; if not, save your money or rest your library card. I just have to say that it’s a sad, sad thing that this is only the fourth book I’ve read since beginning this blog, way back in August. Four books in four months! I used to read four books a week. Darn kids!

Comments

MomofK9s said…
I love when she says big Queeze. And yesterday when we were drawing she said to me "I just can't stop hugging my mommy". Too cute!
aimee said…
She got you. Now you have nothing to hold over her head! :)

Noah has been very affectionate too. Loves kissing me on the mouth, over and over. I think he does it to make up for the times when he is absolutely...not affectionate, let's put it that way!

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...