Skip to main content

Moo

So tonight, while waiting for a pizza, I picked up a brochure on blood donation. I tried to donate blood, once, back in college, but the nurse took one look at my veins and sent me away unstuck. Apparently I have very small veins and it would take very long time to eke a pint out of me. (Yes, this strikes me as odd too, and really, of all things about me to be small, what good does it do me to have small veins? Small bones would be great, a small nose would be divine, but small veins? That's just pointless.) But according to this pamphlet I read tonight, I couldn't donate blood even if I had veins the size of the Nile, because I lived in the UK for three months in 1993. And thus I'm at an increased chance of having the seeds of mad cow disease in my blood.

I was previously at peace at my inability to donate blood, but now I'm just incensed that I can't. I wonder if there's an appeal process. I wonder if I can tell them (whoever makes up "them") that seriously, the only beef I ate whilst in England was one McDonald's hamburger, the first day I was there, and it tasted so weird to me that I never repeated the exercise. (My dad told me that it was probably because it was grass-fed beef rather than grain-fed. I think I ate mostly cheese and crackers for three months. Oh, and Bounty bars. Bounty bars are awesome, wish they were available in the States. And the chocolate-caramel-shortbread pastries! Yum. Anyway.) The odds of that one quarter pounder with cheese coming from an afflicted cow seem ridiculously low, surely too low to disqualify me from being a blood donor. Especially since the chances of ordinary Britons, who've lived in Britain all their life and who've had a meat and two veg for every single meal and roast every Sunday, contracting mad cow disease are also ridiculously low. And what's with the three month rule? What if I'd stayed there only two months but eaten a McDonald's hamburger every single day? What if I was there one day and ate a contaminated steak at Heathrow airport?

Clearly these musings are why I'm not a statistician, or a public health official, or someone else who sits around making up rules about who can or cannot donate blood.




Speaking of eating, and of dairy products, Phoebe was tending to a baby doll the other day at my in-law's house. She approached my mother-in-law and said, "My baby is really hungry. She wants a piece of candy." Claudia, sensing a ruse, handed over a Hershey's kiss. Phoebe brought it over to her doll's cradle and murmured for a moment. Then she came back over to Claudia and said, "My baby says she's very full." Pause, sigh: "I guess I have to eat it!" Oh, the sacrifices we make for our children!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I wonder how they can pinpoint mad cow with such exactness! I guess that's why I'm not a statistician or number cruncher either.

Phoebe has to be one of the funniest little girls ever.

Mom
aimee said…
I am sorry you can't donate blood. And that you have small veins. And that you only lived on cheese and crackers for 3 months.

On a brighter note: your daughter will make an excellent mother one day. :)
H Noble said…
Love the Hershey's kiss story! And I'm sorry too that you can't donate blood. I assume that I could except that I pass out more often than not when someone comes at me with a needle, so I haven't tried. (I have gotten better with all the needles in pregnancy/delivery, but still.)
H

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...