Skip to main content

Funny/Not Funny

Funny:

According to Phoebe, the song goes: "On the elf day of Christmas, my julep gave to me..."

Phoebe said to Chris the other night, "Daddy, can you walk?"

"Can I walk? Sure."

"No, walk!"

"Do you mean, like, take a walk?"

"No, I mean, wock the paw-ty!"

Not Funny:

I have strep throat again.

One of the possible side effects of penicillin -- the development of a black, hairy tongue. This is "unusual, harmless, and will dissipate when the course of medication ceases" but still, ew. The way my luck is running, this will be the side effect that happens to me.

Also Not Funny:

Parents who ruin the Tooth Fairy for the rest of us. Not by denying its existence, but by overdoing the whole thing. Mallory lost a tooth yesterday; when she put it in her tooth pillow she said, "I really hope I get a Camp Rock microphone!" I said, "The Tooth Fairy doesn't bring toys, she brings money." Mallory said, "Well, she brought my best friend a microphone and that's what I'm wishing for too." Needless to say, she was horribly unimpressed to find a dollar in her pillow this morning. Fellow parents, for the sake of the cheapskate traditionalists amongst us -- stick to dollar bills!

This is funny:


Now is the time to donate. Let your support be known.

But it's not funny that Californians are voting to deny gays the right to legal marriage. I don't think anyone from California reads my blog, and obviously I can't vote on this proposition, and probably no one else cares what I think, but here's what I think anyway. If one of my children came to me, ten or twenty years down the road, and told me that she was gay, I wouldn't mind one bit. She would still be the same child, the same person, the same beloved daughter that she'd always been, and I would love her just as much as I did the instant she was born. What would bother me, what would bother me quite a lot in fact, would be those who discriminated against my child for her lifestyle, those who would deny her the civil rights she is entitled to as a citizen and as a human being. So I hope that "No on 8" prevails on November 4.

Comments

aimee said…
I can't believe you have strep throat! I have a sinus infection and had beginnings of the dreaded strep but because I am allergic to penicillan, I have to take this other anti-biotic that makes me feel just as bad. Ugg.

You are right. Everybody deserves equal rights. How can anyone vote yes for anything less?
Anonymous said…
Hi Krista,

I don't remember how I came across your blog initially, but I do stop by to read it from time to time. Just wanted to let you know that you have at least one reader in California, and I will be voting NO on Prop 8. Take care!

Stacie (Los Angeles, CA)
Anonymous said…
A Camp Rock Microphone from the Tooth Fairy! What is the world coming to? I think that you got quarters and were happy to get that.

Sorry that you have strep again. And I hope you don't develop a black, hairy tongue.

I think that everyone deserves equal rights, and to deny them anything less is wrong.

Mom
Abbey said…
Feel better Krista. I would have killed for a dollar from the tooth fairy growing up and I never would have expected toys.

I also agree with you. I often think of how priviledged we were to grow up in the church denomination we did being one of the few who openly accept everyone. It took me until college to realize what a blessing that was.
Krista said…
Right on, Stacie! Thanks for stopping by.

Abbey, you're exactly right about our church -- we are very fortunate.

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...