Skip to main content

One less thing to fret over

This post is going to make me look a bit like a neurotic idiot, but the truth had to come out sometime, right?

Three years ago, I took Mallory to her preschool orientation. Phoebe was a wee little thing, about two months old, and I toted her along in a sling. (Loved the sling, by the way; I think Phoebe spent much of the first four months of her life in that thing.) A mother of one of Mallory’s new classmates approached me and cooed over Phoebe, and then mentioned that she had a month-old baby at home. (Let’s call the mom Anne and the baby Sarah. Because why not.) Then she said, “I love your sling…is it easy to nurse while you wear it?”

“Actually, I don’t –“ I began, and she cut in and said, “Oh, you don’t—“ and then Mallory came over and needed me and I never got to finish the conversation with Anne.

And for three years, I’ve worried about that conversation. What I had been planning to say was that I never nursed Phoebe in the sling because nursing Phoebe successfully required a stack of pillows, a chair with arms, both hands, and lots of patience. But I was afraid that Anne thought I meant that I didn’t nurse at all. Now I know, or I tried to convince myself, that in the grand scheme of things it didn’t matter what Anne thought about how I fed my baby. I certainly wouldn’t judge another mother for nursing or not nursing or wearing a sling or not or any of those things. Maybe it was because Phoebe was so difficult to nurse, and because I was proud of sticking with it regardless, that I didn’t want Anne to have the wrong idea. Maybe I’m just a freak. But every time I saw Anne – and I’ve seen her a lot, since our kids are in the same school – I’ve wanted to go up to her and say, “You know, I really did nurse Phoebe! Really! I did!” – but I never did, because obviously she would think I was nuts.

You will be glad to know that this story has a happy ending. Sarah and Phoebe are now in the same preschool class, and we went on a field trip last Friday. Whilst listening to a park ranger talk about trees and roots, I noticed another class mom nursing her small baby. I glanced over and happened to catch Anne’s eye, and we both smiled at the baby, and then Anne whispered, “Brings back memories, doesn’t it?” I said yes, and then she said, “How long did you nurse Phoebe?” I told her, and she said that Sarah had nursed for about the same length of time, and we talked about how special that was. So, hooray! I no longer have to worry about what Anne’s mother thinks about me! And obviously, since she asked the question first, I should have never worried about it to begin with, which, really, is the moral of the story.

Comments

aimee said…
Isn't it funny the things we worry about when really no one else even remembers? Unless it has to do with them, then they'll never forget.

Interesting...

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons