Skip to main content

Baa

My winter coat has these care instructions:

Do not wash.
Do not dry-clean.
Do not spot clean.

It limits the options, rather.

When I was in fourth grade, my older sister asked our parents if she could join 4-H and get a sheep to take care of. I'm sure my parents were as excited about this request as I am when Mallory asks to take karate lessons, or to join a soccer team; the difference is, in this instance, my parents acquiesced. For some reason, it was decided that I, too, should join 4-H and get a sheep. And so it was that for about six months, Jana and I were shepherdesses, or at least, we had to wake up early each morning and feed these sheep, and break the ice on their trough, and we also had to muck out their stalls on the weekend, and we had to encourage them to "exercise" so that they, and we, could fetch a good price at the spring Stock Show. My sheep was of the Suffolk breed, reputed to be the most intelligent of the sheep breeds, so I named him Einstein.

It also happened that when I was in fourth grade, I had a faux rabbit-fur coat, in grey, which I thought was terribly stylish. It was my only outerwear that year, so I wore it anytime I had to go outside - including when I had to go take care of my sheep. Now, in those days, or at least, in my small town, there was no such thing as "before school care" -- if you had to be dropped off at school before school started, you just had to loiter around the schoolyard until the bell rang. If it was bitterly cold, students were allowed in the foyer, but absolutely could not enter the main hallways. So it was that one cold morning I found myself crammed into the foyer, cheek to jowl with my fellow fourth graders, and I noticed a peculiar odor. It was a very barnyard-ish odor. It was -- I realized with mounting horror -- the odor of MY barnyard, emanating from MY coat. My coat smelled like my sheep. I was mortified beyond belief.

And then...

Huh.

Well.

Here's where I admit that this isn't much of a story. Evidently none of my classmates realized that my coat was smelly; no one started calling me Sheep-Dip Krista; no further trauma ensued. Perhaps I went home and said to my mother, Hey mom, my coat smells like sheep poo! and she washed it and all was well. Maybe it warmed up soon afterward and I never had to wear the coat again.

Yeah.

Anyway.

Oh, what happened to the sheep? It dragged me halfway across the arena during judging at the stock show, actually. An older boy grabbed its halter and the judge said to him, "That was very brave of you, son." I had sawdust down my pants. We came in last place. The sheep was purchased for 69 cents a pound. "I guess Einstein will be lamb chops soon," I noted in my diary, without too much sorrow.

The fate of the coat was not recorded.

Comments

MomofK9s said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
MomofK9s said…
(I had to remove the first comment because my grammar was awful-and probably still is!)

Wow. THAT was pretty brave of YOU. I could never sell something that I took care of for food. And since i am ALMOST a vegetarian again...I do think it was brave.
Anonymous said…
I do remember that coat. I do not remember what happened to it though! And I remember how both you and Jana were only in 4H for one year. And how glad that both Gary and I were that no one ever wanted a show animal again!

Mom
aimee said…
Mom, I don't think you gave Casey and me an option. Which really is okay. I didn't want to. I had enough barn life with those calves that we all got too attached to and then they would die and we would cry...

Popular posts from this blog

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.