Skip to main content

Interlude

Last night I went to see Mary Chapin Carpenter perform live in Durham. It was fabulous. I've loved MCC since way back when -- "Passionate Kisses" and "He Thinks He'll Keep Her", both of which she played; her "Stones in the Road" CD was the soundtrack of my graduate school years, while "time*sex*love" was almost all I listened to while I was pregnant with Mallory. If I listen to music instead of NPR on the way to work, it's almost always MCC, and certain songs -- "Jubilee," "Your Life Story," "River," "Walking Through Fire" -- I play over and over again and will never get tired of. (And why had I never heard her song about Halley's comet until last night? Must get that one off itunes immediately.)

Anyway, I can't adequately describe how great she was. Except that -- last night, as I was getting ready to leave for the concert, Phoebe said, "I want to be a rock star when I grow up, but Mallory told me it's really really hard. So maybe I'll just be a mom instead." As MCC sang her song "The Calling," about finding your purpose in life, I thought that at some point, someone probably told her that being a singer was really really hard. But she did it anyway. I hope that, no matter what calling my girls decide to answer, they have the same strength, and the same success. (Now if I could only get them to listen to MCC, instead of Hannah Montana...)

I also loved the opening act, Garrison Starr; if you like female acoustical/folk singers, you will like her too. Her song "Brightest Star" also made me think of my kids:

maybe today
maybe tomorrow
maybe the sun will come out in the rain
and shine on your face

whenever you’re lonely
I’ll be the wind blowing by
whenever you need me
I’ll be the brightest star in the sky

maybe it’s time
maybe you know it
pick up the pieces and start again
it’s your turn to shine

whenever you’re lonely
I’ll be the wind blowing by
whenever you need me
I’ll be the brightest star in the sky

One final note: I bought a concert t-shirt, which has given me an incentive to continue with my weight-loss. I got the largest size, and I swear it would be too small for Phoebe. Good grief.

Comments

aimee said…
I love those lyrics. Made me cry. I am so glad you went.

Popular posts from this blog

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.