Skip to main content

So

First grade seems to be going well for Mallory so far; her only complaint has been that she was the only girl in her class who did not have a Hannah Montana water bottle and all the other girls made fun of her, so could she please have a Hannah Montana water bottle? I told her no, that the water bottle she had was perfectly fine and phooey on the other girls and she saw the light and agreed that from now on she will stand firm against both peer pressure and consumerism and...oh, you know that I bought her the water bottle, right? Which leaks, of course.

I've been getting up at 6:00 every morning to walk/run. (I'm doing the Couch to 5K running program, in which you do gradually increasing intervals of walking and running; the idea is that by the end of 9 weeks, you'll be able to run a 5K. I think it'll take me much longer than 9 weeks to be able to run that far but we'll see.) It's completely unlike me but I have to say, I'm enjoying it. It's nice to be able to exercise without first convincing my children that they can't come with me, or leaving them at home crying for me. It's nice to have 30 minutes of "me" time before the day gets started. It's nice to accomplish something before the sun has even come up completely. I don't know exactly what I'm going to do as the days get shorter and it's still pitch black at 6 a.m. Get one of those dorky reflective vests, I guess.

Happy anniversary to Aimee and Seth!

There was something else I was going to tell you. Something, something, something...I forgot. If it comes to me I'll do an update. I'm sure you're all waiting with baited breath.

Comments

aimee said…
Thank you!

I am glad you are liking your "me" time. I am kickboxing now, twice a week and I am enjoying it too. Although I am still so sore.

Did you ever remember?

Oh, and I would have totally bought the water bottle too.

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...