Skip to main content

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects.

When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week.

When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each day full of goldfish or pretzels for snacks.

When I want to buy a new pair of shoes, or contribute to the NPR pledge drive, or go to the eye doctor for a new pair of glasses, I remember that this month Phoebe has to have some cavities filled, and that money is due for the school fundraiser, and Mallory has outgrown her PE uniform (again).

I'm not doing any of these things because I particularly enjoy them. I'm not doing them so people will think I'm mom of the year, either, although a couple of people have said they don't know how I do what I do AND work full time too. The fact is I think I'm doing a pretty half-assed job most of the time, which just kind of adds to the stress level.

What helps me -- when I reflect that really, all I want out of life is to be left alone and allowed to sit on the couch and read, with a Diet Coke close to hand -- is to remember that this is not forever. For every thing there is a season, and this happens to be my season right now: Having young children, being involved in what matters to them, spending time (and money) on things that will, I hope, help them grow into good people. In ten or twelve years, my season will change, and my priorities can shift. I'm not sure I'll miss all this, once it's over. My hope is that I'll be able to look back without regret.

And if my kids ever tell me that I never did anything for them, well, I'll know that they're wrong.

Comments

H Noble said…
Great perspective! I try to think similarly when Eli throws all the pillows off of my bed (again) or gets Oreo crumbs in my couch or leaves his little toys all over the place. Someday I'll wish for those things and it will be too late. Thank you!
aimee said…
You are incredibly busy and an incredible mom. If you ever feel like enough is enough, just move. I know I'll get busy like I was before soon enough, but right now I'm enjoying laying low. :)
Karen said…
I can honestly say that I do not miss the "busyness" of having children - of any age - in my daily life. I think that - looiing back - I did enjoy many of the things that I did with all of you, but I totally understand about the half-assed part. Nothing was ever done quite as well or as thoroughly as it could have been. And the juggling of children and husband and work and events was somewhat stressful. However, I do not think that anyone suffered long-lasting effects from that, or if anyone did, they haven't bothered to share that with me. And I can also honestly say that the next ten years will go by quickly. You will look up one day and wonder what happened!
Anonymous said…
no wonder I'm about half goofy--I was juggled for 20 yrs.
dad
Chris said…
You can juggle me all you want dear, as long as you don't drop me!
Anonymous said…
I am glad that I am not the only one who feels like this...and I don't even have children!

mimi

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons