Skip to main content

Three Gifts

My mom was a teacher, and every holiday season she received dozens of gifts from her students – homemade bread and cookies, candles and bath salts, coffee mugs and ornaments. One year she came home with a figurine of a teddy bear. It wasn’t a Christmas-themed bear figurine, it was kind of smudged and dirty, the bear had a chip out of its ear. It was not a quality piece, in other words. My siblings and I examined it, and I don’t remember which of us said what we were all thinking: “That’s kind of a crummy gift, isn’t it? It’s not even new!”

My mom said, “You never know. This bear might have been that student’s prized possession, and she chose to give it to me.”

Sometimes the price of a gift is no reflection of its value.




One of my favorite Christmas songs is the Barenaked Ladies’ “Elf’s Lament,” in which an elf complains of being overworked and underpaid. Part of the chorus goes:

“Boys and girls, before you wish for what you wish for
There’s a list for who’s been naughty or nice
But consider the price to an elf!”

The song makes me laugh, but it also reminds me of a friend of mine, who told me once that she refuses to buy Barbie dolls for her kids. She couldn’t stand, she said, to support the manufacture of these dolls, made in a factory in China by little girls who would never get to play with one, or by parents who could never afford to buy one for their own daughters.

I do buy Barbies for my girls – they’re swimming in them – but it’s always with a stab of guilt.

Sometimes the price of a gift is no measure of its cost.




“Did you travel when you were pregnant with me?” Mallory asked.

“Um, no, not very much,” I replied. “Why?”

“Well, Mary had to travel when she was pregnant with Jesus,” she said, “and she was very uncomfortable.”

In the pictures, Mary always looks so serene, but I imagine she was uncomfortable – nine months pregnant, riding on a donkey, delivering in a dirty stable. Then there were all the people descending on her and her baby – the shepherds, the wise men; then they had to flee to Egypt – not exactly a relaxing postpartum period. And in the midst of the confusion and the fleeing and the never-ending tasks that come with tending a new baby, there must have been, in the back of her mind (she pondered these things in her heart, and kept them there), the knowledge that her child was not like other children, that something would be expected of him that was beyond comprehension.

What would it be like, to know that about your child? I heard this line in another Christmas song, sung from Mary’s point of view: “You were born for all mankind, but you will always be mine.” I wonder how often Mary thought: Not my baby. Not my son, find someone else. Knowing that she would have to give him up anyway.

Sometimes the value of a gift is all in the giving.

Comments

aimee said…
That was wonderful. I have goosebumps. I remember that teddy bear and mom's words.

Thanks for the reminder in this Christmas season.
Anonymous said…
A beautiful blog! I think that I still have that bear too. I don't ever display is anymore, but there is something in me that can't throw it away. I know, SENTIMENTAL!!!

Mom
H Noble said…
That was nice Krista. Definitely makes you put your heart and mind back on the reason for Christmas. Thank you.

Popular posts from this blog

the closet

Amy has challenged me to list 8 things that are hidden in the back of my closet. I try not to actually look to closely at the back of my closet, so these are my closest guesses: 1. At least three no-longer-needed diaper bags. 2. An outfit that I've been meaning to return to Land's End for at least six months now. 3. One of our wedding pictures, which has a broken frame which I keep meaning to replace. 4. Shoes, shoes, shoes, shoes. 5. Possibly a pair of fuzzy slippers. I miss those fuzzy slippers. Maybe I should brave the mess and go try to find them. 6. Baby blankets. 7. A few small toys that I meant to stick in the girls' Christmas stockings. Maybe next year. 8. And I'm guessing, a bunch of mismatched socks. My closet isn't very interesting, I'm afraid.

The Golf Course

There was a miniature golf course in my grandparent’s house. There were, in fact, lots of cool-if-kitschy things in my grandparents’ house. There were swinging saloon doors between the kitchen and the master suite. There was a toilet seat made of transparent plastic, with ticket stubs from horse races embedded therein. There was a globe wine bar (pictured!). There was a mounted goat head (the goat was named Bucky) on whose antlers my granddad hung his golf caps. There was a stuffed pheasant whose chest feathers were smooth as silk. There was a kitchen bar of green marbled formica and swively kitchen chairs of red pleather. There was an automatic ice dispenser on the refrigerator, which was a rare and awe-inspiring thing in the 1970’s. There was a mirrored tray holding bejeweled perfume bottles with atomizers in the guest bathroom. There were two huge oil paintings – one of my aunt, with beautifully frosted hair, holding a Pug, one of my older sister as a toddler sitting on a John De...

A time to have no time

In the past four weeks, I've been to five Girl Scout events, not including regular troop meetings AND leaders' meetings. When I'm not at a Girl Scout event, I'm preparing for the next one. I'm sending emails to parents, collecting money for field trips, buying craft supplies, and researching service projects. When I'm not dealing with Girl Scouts, I'm dealing with school. I'm at PTO meetings, or organizing teacher's breakfasts, or buying canned goods for the Thanksgiving food drive. Or I'm helping with homework, or signing homework agendas or behavior charts, or sorting through the piles and piles of paper that come home every week. When I'm not dealing with school, I'm taking the kids to the pool, or the park, or trying to arrange playdates or slumber parties. Or I'm making muffins for the week's breakfast, or cookies for the week's desserts, or endlessly washing the little plastic containers I send back and forth each da...