Skip to main content

K-K-Kindergarten


I had a parent-teacher conference regarding Mallory's kindergarten progress last week. Mrs. F said that on the whole Mallory is doing very well, and that in fact sometimes she's surprised at how well Mallory is doing because it often appears that Mallory is off in outer space instead of paying attention. She said that Mallory consistently answers very hard questions correctly (regarding things like sequences and logic -- yeah, logic, in kindergarten!) but that sometimes still misses easy things like rhyming. She said Mallory is a mystery to her. I said to join the club. Oh, and Mallory is also consistently the slowest child in the class to accomplish tasks such as putting away crayons and packing up at the end of the day and often forgets things such as where to find her math workbook, which is in the exact same location every day. She asked if Mallory were this way at home and I said yes but I thought all 5-year-olds were that way. Apparently they are not and we need to work with Mallory on "timeliness" and "task completion." I wanted to say I would be happy to address those concerns once Mallory gets over "losing her temper when rushed" and "snotty comebacks to constructive criticism," but felt that would be inappropriate.

Anyway, Mallory is constantly displaying her kindergarten knowledge and I can tell that she really has soaked up a lot. She's always spelling out, and trying to sound out, words we see. "C - o - w. Is that c like k-k-clicking cameras or like s-s-sizzling sausages?" she'll ask. Or she'll sings songs about the animals assigned to the letters they're learning, like Sammy Seal and Tiggy Tiger and Mimi Mouse (who minds her manners in the house. When she drinks her milk she never makes a mess, mudpies never stain her dress!). She informed me that not everyone knows this, but when you count you should start with 0, not 1. "I know that because I'm in school," she said. The other day she suddenly exclaimed to me, "This doesn't make any sense! How can Phoebe's name start with the P and make the F sound?" When asked, in preparation to doing a "thankfulness project" for homework, what she was most thankful for, she answered, "Being able to go to school." (She later changed her answer to, "Being bigger than Phoebe.") She can write the words I, see, Friday, red, and my.

Mrs F asked if I had any concerns and I said not really. I am pleased with her education thus far. I think what I want most in respects to my kids' educations is that they never get tired of learning. It's early days of course but so far we're doing okay.

Comments

aimee said…
What a smartie! I loved kindergarten--watching Rhett figure things out was so much fun.

And I hear you about losing one's temper...can't wait to hear what Noah's kindergarten teacher will have to say. The other day he was crying when I picked him up from school because he was a human vacuum, not a chair stacker. The unfairness of it all.

Popular posts from this blog

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.