Skip to main content

Monday Blues

Yesterday, driving home, it occurred to me that what I really wanted to do was to pull over to the side of the road and have a good cry. This is odd for two reason: 1) I’m not much of a cry-er; and 2) There’s nothing wrong.

Nothing wrong, really. No crises, no disasters. I’m healthy, I have a great husband and two healthy kids, we have a nice home and food on the table and all the necessities plus some extras and my nation is on the cusp of electing either a black man or a woman to the White House, which is awesome…but I still have the blues.

It’s all just too much, sometimes. Sometimes my life seems like a long list of have-to’s, with no time for the want-to’s. Go to work. Shop for groceries. Bathe the kids. Make dinner. No, make a healthy dinner. No, make a dinner the family will actually eat. Pay the bills. Feed the dog. Supervise the homework. Do the laundry. Conserve the water. Pick up the socks. Refrain from responding in kind when the six-year-old says, “I don’t like you!” Stave off the two-year-old’s tantrums. Change the diapers. Get the children to school on time. Pack the lunches. Not to mention all things that I should be doing on top of everything else that I am doing: Exercise. Save money. Read more books to the children. Work on family tree project for distant relative who asked me to do it over a year ago. Clean the house. Brush the dog. Find a new career. And so forth.

I feel like I’m just muddling through, that I’m just scraping by and doing the bare minimum it takes to get from morning to night. And maybe that’s all I can expect as a full-time working mom of two small children…but maybe it’s not. I’m tired of being caught off guard by the change of seasons, the turn of the calendar, of thinking over and over again some variation of, “Wait, it’s March? It’s 2008? I’m 36? And this is all I’ve done?” I’m tired of putting off even thinking about ways to make my life better because I’m too busy, too stressed, too…tired. I’m tired of being tired.

And again – I know how lucky I am. I know that I have a blessed and happy life.

But I don’t think this is all there is. I think there can be more. I just don’t know how to get there.

Comments

aimee said…
I hear ya, sis. I have been feeling the same way! Which is why I haven't blogged much or about much (the weather, I mean what is more boring than that!) You put it in words that I couldn't though. Thanks. And when you find out how to get there, and you will, let us know what you did and how you did it. :)I love you!
MomofK9s said…
I think most people feel this way. I know I do. But then sometimes, I also think about all the stuff I do, do and I am amazed at that as well. You are a fabulous mom and you do a great job with the girls. They won't remember what you cooked for them or how clean the house was. They will remember that you took them roller skating, or to the movies or read them a book or baked cookies with them. And that is the most important thing.
H Noble said…
You are not alone!! A co-worker yesterday said that it was just spring fever, but the madness is here year-round. Good point. Well, just keep focusing on the good stuff and the blessings you have, and how bored you would be without them. And then take a deep breath and jump back in!
H

Popular posts from this blog

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons