Skip to main content

Whee!



My mom, bless her, and I stood in line for almost an hour to ride the Judge Roy Scream, the wooden roller coaster whose opening coincided with our trip to Six Flags in 1980. My big sister had turned chicken once we arrived at the park and refused to ride much of anything, but I had been watching the Judge on TV commercials all summer long, and although I was nervous, I was determined to get on that coaster. We finally got to the top of the line and got strapped in the cars. I was wondering if I’d be brave enough it wave my hands over my head on the descent. I wondered if my dad and Jana would be able to see us from the ground. I was wondering some other things but then we started to move. The cars slooowly inched up up up the big ascent and just before we dropped, I realized that I’d made a horrible mistake.

“I don’t want to do this!” I screamed. “Get me off! Don’t make me do this! I don’t want to be here! Mooooommmm!” And so forth, for the full ninety seconds of the ride.

Then it was over, and as the lap bars unclicked and we started to unload, I said to my mom, “Can we do that again?”

On Friday night we took the kids to a rinky-dink carnival in the Home Depot parking lot. Mallory and I rode the Dizzy Dragons together, which Phoebe declared “too scary.” So imagine my surprise when, while Mallory ran into the Funhouse, Phoebe pointed to the “Music Express” and said: “I want to ride that, Mommy!”

I tried to dissuade her, but Phoebe has never been dissuaded from anything that she’s got her mind set on, so off we went. I handed over the tickets and we got strapped in and then commenced the longest amusement park ride in recorded history. We started to spin. Phoebe laughed. We undulated. Phoebe shrieked with delight. “It’s fun, isn’t it?” I said. Then the spinning and undulating and bumping up and down got faster. And faster. And didn’t seem likely to stop in a timely fashion. We kept going. I was beginning to regret the sweet and sour shrimp I’d had for dinner. We spun. Around and around. Up and down. Phoebe still laughing. Around and around. I saw Chris and Mallory and Amy on the sidelines and telepathically asked them to send for help. Then, finally, we slowed. And stopped.

Then, we started going backwards.

You cannot imagine my despair. Around and around we went. The undulations seemed even worse, going backwards. The centrifugal force was causing a painful crick in my neck. Around and around. As we spun I could see Chris and Amy first laughing, then looking a bit concerned. I no longer cared how Phoebe was faring; I just kept one hand on her leg to make sure she didn’t fly off the seat and closed my eyes and tried not to barf. When would this ride end? We kept going and going. And going. And…going.

Then, blessedly, we stopped. I wrestled with the lock on the lap bar, lifted it up, stumbled onto the platform. Turned to Phoebe, who I assumed would be as addled and shaken and nauseated as I was.

Phoebe clutched the bar and shouted, “I want to do it again!”

Comments

MomofK9s said…
I have not had many of those "I feel your pain" moments where I actually felt the person's physical pain, but on Friday I completely did!
Anonymous said…
That's pretty funny. Who would have ever thought that one of your kids would love something like that!

Mom
aimee said…
That is the Himalaya at WonderLand!!! I used to love that ride. Then a few years ago, I went on it again and thought it was the worst thing ever. I guess it is only for the young.
H Noble said…
I was just thinking that Aim! I loved the Himalaya so much and rode it time after time. Somehow, I've gotten a little less brave when it comes to roller coasters though. Guess growing up does that to you.
Holly

Popular posts from this blog

File under: stupid problems to have

I'm going to see Wicked (the musical) in May with my sister- and mother-in-law. I'm excited; I like musicals. In anticipation, I downloaded the soundtrack a few days ago and have been listening to it continually on my ipod ever since. I read Wicked (the book) back when it first came out, but didn't remember much of the plot. So in order to understand what happens in the gaps between the songs in the musical, I turned to wikipedia for a plot summary. Then I clicked over to the synposis of the book to see how it differed from the musical. Reading about the book made me realize that I had pretty much forgotten all of the book. In fact, to be honest, what I remember about the book was that I found it a bit dull. A bit long. A bit too much about the politics of an imaginary country. A bit too full of unsympathetic characters. And then, I remember, I read the author's next book (a retelling of the Cinderella story) and didn't like it much at all. So I never even cons

Crafty Update

I've made a whopping total of two things this summer. A puppy for Phoebe's birthday: And a cell phone case for me: The case needs a bit of tweaking; I'm not happy with the strap. But it was way easier than making a stuffed animal, I'll tell you that much. The girls were on etsy with me last night looking at crochet patterns. Now I have a list of requests a mile long. I'm not sure when I'll have time to get to these new projects, but I'll keep you posted. Because I know you care.

Whew

When they called Pennsylvania, I knew. When they called Ohio, I knew for sure. But I still got chills up and down my spine when they called it for good. And I have tears in my eyes every time I think of his speech. Last night, I attempted to explain to Mallory why this was such a big deal. (This was after a rather undignified few minutes during which she, Phoebe and I danced around the living room chanting Go-bama, Go-bama!) I tried to explain that not so many years ago, black people couldn't even vote, much less become president. She looked at me in great perplexity. She didn't get it. She didn't get racial prejudice. And now...well, it's not that I believe for a second that she and Phoebe will grow up in a world where prejudice doesn't exist. But they do live in a country where, for one election, it was transcended. This is their world now, and their history being made, and I...I'm just elated.